How behaviorally complex are marine fish?

jeremy.gosnell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jeremy.gosnell submitted a new Article:

How behaviorally complex are marine fish?

ShowImage.ashx
Many years ago while traveling around the Outer Banks of North Carolina on a family vacation, my aunt started joking about a large billboard at the city of Nag’s Head’s entrance. “Fish have feelings too” the billboard read, and my aunt quickly started joking about the “ignorance” of such a statement. The billboard was the product of a local conservation group, that worked to discourage over-fishing of...

Read more about this article here...

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good job again.

Lesley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow.
Always believe my fish recognised us as to other people
Always had a zero aggression policy as believed no fish should live in fear
Hate seeing sick fish always believed they felt pain
So glad this is being researched
Thank you

LadAShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Knew this a lonnnnng time ago. It's only that it's advantageous for people to suppress this information, thus there are many scientists in the field that are paid to hold a certain opinion. If you simply look at the nervous system of a fish you will discover that it is surprisingly complex.

OP
OP
jeremy.gosnell

jeremy.gosnell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are scientists today that feel animal cruelty/treatment laws should be extended to include fish. Fish are one of the most utilized animals by humans, both for food and for scientific research. If you've ever had the displeasure of seeing a commercial aquaculture farm, it's unnerving and upsetting for any aquarist who loves piscine life. Many, many animals are crammed together in vats at an unimaginable density and copious amounts of antibiotics and medications are used to maintain fish health, largely because otherwise the crowded, stressful environment would kill them off. Many of the high-efficiency filtration available to reef aquarists was first developed for commercial aquaculture, because food-fish aquaculture's goal is often to fit as many individuals as possible into as small a space as possible, while growing them out to the ideal condition for slaughter. If you treated cows, lambs and other livestock in the manner fish are treated, you would violate a host of animal rights laws and likely face prosecution. We see news break quite often of groups infiltration factory farms, obtaining evidence of abuse and taking action. However, it's rare that groups infiltrate an aquaculture establishment and even if they did, it's unlikely any action would be taken because fish aren't afforded the same protections as other animals.

Scientists often refer to the circle of compassion, which is a metaphor for the way some animals are provided protections under law. Many want fish included in that circle.

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely loved reading this article! The majority of people are puzzled or skeptical when you comment on the personalities of your fish. Most people just concentrate on their beauty. But when they see your fish interact with you, it often opens their minds to their equally engaging behaviors.
Great read!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 82.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 8.6%
Back