How fast can I raise alk levels?

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to get my alk up and im worried about bumping it too fast and shocking the system. Currently im at 7.4dkh and want to get up to about 9dkh. I'm using Brightwell alkalin8.3 liquid at the moment. Looking into new products to use going forward.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to get my alk up and im worried about bumping it too fast and shocking the system. Currently im at 7.4dkh and want to get up to about 9dkh. I'm using Brightwell alkalin8.3 liquid at the moment. Looking into new products to use going forward.
.2 - .3 per day TBH.

OP
OP
Floyd-

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, ill have to work the math to see how much to dose over the day to get it up.
From what I see it says 1ml in 1gallon raises alk by 3.1dkh.
So adding 1ml to my 175gallon tank raises alk by .0177dkh.
Adding 17ml should raise it .3dkh a day. 17ml a day for 5.3days should get me to 9dkh from 7.4dkh starting point.

That sound about right?

Alex's Nano Reef

Don't tell my Landlord
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what salt are you using and do you do water changes routinely?

Alex's Nano Reef

Don't tell my Landlord
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fritz RPM Pro blue box. Normally once a week 10% but lately its been about once a month to keep my nitrates and phosphates up a little.
wow you have fish only and that much consumption. i would do water changes bi weekly test a few hours after the water change and start dosing a bottled two part immediately after to keep the levels the same. but your not keeping coral so its not a big deal maybe dose a larger amount twice or three times a week its all up to you.

OP
OP
Floyd-

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow you have fish only and that much consumption. i would do water changes bi weekly test a few hours after the water change and start dosing a bottled two part immediately after to keep the levels the same. but your not keeping coral so its not a big deal maybe dose a larger amount twice or three times a week its all up to you.
I have Soft, LPS and some SPS coral in the tank. I didnt dose for awhile and now apparently i need to supplement again. I turned the pump back on and loaded the new schedule and set an alarm to check in 5 days.

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I see it says 1ml in 1gallon raises alk by 3.1dkh.
So adding 1ml to my 175gallon tank raises alk by .0177dkh.
Adding 17ml should raise it .3dkh a day. 17ml a day for 5.3days should get me to 9dkh from 7.4dkh starting point.

That sound about right?
Red sea has a good and easy ALK mix

You would dose 7ml for 175 gallon and this would raise .1 DKH

I have been doing this for months now and my Alk is finally stable and super easy to dose.

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didnt see him mention fish only tank??

OP ,, if your tank is fish only why do you care if the tank is 7.5 or 9.0 ALK ????

Typically people are messing around with ALK levels for the coral and inverts . Fish would be fine at 7.5 or 9.0 to be honest they probably dont even notice haha

When i had a couple spikes in alk from dosing incorrectly i went 8-12 over night a couple times. In 3 years i have had ALk levels from 7.3 up to 12.8 the corals are noticeably happy or upset. The fish have been the same the entire time " Fat and happy " lol

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My local store carries this in 1000ml bottles I believe. Once I burn through my Brightwell bottle soon I might try it out.
For your 175 gallon tank the dosing will be super accurate and easy with that nice number because you dose based on 25 gallon incrimants

Also . You will want to test Alkalinity in your tank everyday for about 10 days straight beforehand. This will give you a really good idea of how much ALK your tank is consuming daily . Then dose accordingly to maintain the range you want in your case 9.0DKH

OP
OP
Floyd-

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For your 175 gallon tank the dosing will be super accurate and easy with that nice number because you dose based on 25 gallon incrimants

Also . You will want to test Alkalinity in your tank everyday for about 10 days straight beforehand. This will give you a really good idea of how much ALK your tank is consuming daily . Then dose accordingly to maintain the range you want in your case 9.0DKH
Im going to slowly bring it up to 9dkh and then stop dosing and see where it drops over a few days and then calculate daily usage.

czoolander

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going to slowly bring it up to 9dkh and then stop dosing and see where it drops over a few days and then calculate daily usage.
Yes good plan but do a few tests over a 5-10 day span so you have a pretty good idea what the daily consumption of ALK looks like

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 21 48.8%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.3%
Back