How fast can I raise alk levels?

Marinexx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an interesting discussion: for my tank I have been running on the high side (10.5-11.5) for a year now. I have been thinking of trying to lower it closer to 8.0. I wonder if I should even bother?
I use IO salt, do a 10-15% water change weekly, while ALK is a very consistent parameter for this 75 gal fish and coral tank with a 20 gal sump, which is just starting to grow macroalgae after 3 previous attempts.
Maybe I should just leave it at 10? I use kalkwasser to maintain Ca ~450 and pH ~8.3.

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an interesting discussion: for my tank I have been running on the high side (10.5-11.5) for a year now. I have been thinking of trying to lower it closer to 8.0. I wonder if I should even bother?
I use IO salt, do a 10-15% water change weekly, while ALK is a very consistent parameter for this 75 gal fish and coral tank with a 20 gal sump, which is just starting to grow macroalgae after 3 previous attempts.
Maybe I should just leave it at 10? I use kalkwasser to maintain Ca ~450 and pH ~8.3.
From what I understand, lowering alkalinity may also lower pH for a time. If parameters are steady, I wouldn’t risk it.

OP
OP
Floyd-

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going to slowly bring it up to 9dkh and then stop dosing and see where it drops over a few days and then calculate daily usage.
I have added 17ml a day since 9/1/22 and im still not to 9dkh yet. Its a slow process for sure.
Also since I have upped my alk my BTA split! Its the first split I have ever had in a year and a half of reefing.

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have added 17ml a day since 9/1/22 and im still not to 9dkh yet. Its a slow process for sure.
Also since I have upped my alk my BTA split! Its the first split I have ever had in a year and a half of reefing.
Anything more than a point per day is dangerous.
Here’s a calculator that will help you determine how much to add to get you where you want to be. Please read the entire result window so you know how/ when to break up the dose over a number of days if necessary.

OP
OP
Floyd-

Floyd-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything more than a point per day is dangerous.
Here’s a calculator that will help you determine how much to add to get you where you want to be. Please read the entire result window so you know how/ when to break up the dose over a number of days if necessary.

Ive read that before and it doesnt show my additive im using so I just used the calculations on the bottle and figured out how much to dose.

I figured about another 3-4 days I should get at my goal, from there I can start dialing in daily consumption.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are a lot of threads on raising alk per day.
No more than 1.4dkh is the standard.
0.2/0.3 is fine, just will take a while...

RHF says 1dkh

Just remember, it needs to be broken up to several doses.

Last edited:

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 33 49.3%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.0%
Back