How fast to ramp up Copper Power...

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new batch of fish in my QT, two banggai cardinals and a yellow corris wrasse. I introduced them, did a round of Prazi Pro, waiting 48 hours did a 50% water change and now have started to slowly ramp up my copper concentration.

So far I have dosed about 2.5 ML into a 20 gallon tank. My plan was to space out the dosing over 6-7 days in 20 or 21 doses (three times a day)

My problem is my wrasse is showing signs of an ich outbreak. He's flashing on one spot, I can see an abrasion starting to form from his flashing. Additionally there are currently a couple of white spots on his tail and dorsal fin.

Should I speed up the dosing of copper power to reach therapeutic levels sooner than 7 days, or let it ride out to protect the wrasse which might be sensitive to the copper?

All three fish are eating fine, the cardinals are not showing any symptoms.

QT.jpg

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I called it out in the title but forgot to mention in the text. Copper Power with a Hanna High Range Copper Checker
Sorry, I don't know how I missed that. You can probably ramp up to 1.50ppm within a few days. Then take a few more to get to your target (I use 1.75ppm).

I have recently been acclimating fish into 1.0ppm copper then ramping up over a few days total. I am trying to lessen the total amount of time they spend in copper overall.

OP
OP
JBKReef

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I don't know how I missed that. You can probably ramp up to 1.50ppm within a few days. Then take a few more to get to your target (I use 1.75ppm).

I have recently been acclimating fish into 1.0ppm copper then ramping up over a few days total. I am trying to lessen the total amount of time they spend in copper overall.

Its all good, I appreciate the quick response. My goal level is 1.75 as well.

With wanting to limit the amount of time in Copper do you treat for 14 days therapeutic then observe, or do a full 30 day therapeutic level medication?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
14 days of therapuetic, then transfer to a seperate sterile QT. That is the best as far as limiting exposure time.

If you are using only one QT they need a full 30 days of therapuetic treatment before you remove the copper for observation.

OP
OP
JBKReef

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
14 days of therapuetic, then transfer to a seperate sterile QT. That is the best as far as limiting exposure time.

If you are using only one QT they need a full 30 days of therapuetic treatment before you remove the copper for observation.

Hmm tough call. I have a 10 gallon laying around, spare heater, and airstone... Would a 10 gallon in your opinion be too small for the three fish?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm tough call. I have a 10 gallon laying around, spare heater, and airstone... Would a 10 gallon in your opinion be too small for the three fish?
For that one Wrasse and the two cardinals? You should be fine. Just watch Ammonia closely. Dose Biospiria and keep prime handy.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 165 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.8%
Back