This was first going into the tank out of the shipping bag

sgOikfC.png

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I often put them on top of a ceramic cup. This way I can move them without stress them DT detach them every time they need to be move.
Here is how I set up my first HT. I keep pictures of this since many people asked me about it. My Yellow Magnifica when I started treatment and when I put him back to DT. Put the mug against the rock and he just move off the cup in a few days and you can remove the mug. I really think remove them from their attachment is one of the worst thing you can do to an anemone.
Any light source will do if it is bright enough (No filament light or halogen light). That is a PC light. I have better dedicated LED light now and better heater with controller. Don't skim on the heater. The heater is the most important equipment in that tank. Your HT will not be stable unless you have good heater.
Anemone HT01.jpg

Anemone HT02.jpg

Last edited:

leahfiish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I see you meant egg crate as a divider. Makes sense. Thanks for the pictures. What temperature do you normally keep the tank at? Have you noticed a difference at higher or lower temperatures? Maybe slightly lower temperatures help the anemones fight off infections better?

angela223

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, i know you said that cipro becomes inert in the light. is that the same for human cipro? i cant get my hands on fish cipro here in australia.. ive only got the ones for humans. Will that still be inert in the light?

OP
OP
Amoo

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, i know you said that cipro becomes inert in the light. is that the same for human cipro? i cant get my hands on fish cipro here in australia.. ive only got the ones for humans. Will that still be inert in the light?

There's no difference.

angela223

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, my anemone keeps producing high ammonia. i know you said 12 hour water changes should be on the first day and from then on you will let the nem stay for 24 hours. But the ammonia goes up to really high before the 24 hours. Should i still keep it in that water ?

angela223

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also.. does this treatment work if the nem is dying due to injury? I dont think he has a bacterial infection. he started dying when he got sucked into the skimmer and also the stress of it moving becus i had to remove him from tank a lot of times.

angela223

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sigh. So im having trouble keeping ammonia down.. im using display tank water as well. I do 80% water changes and within few hours ammonia is high again. Im using a 5gallon to save water. Im on day 4 treatment with increased dosage and he is getting worse

Tyler Miceli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, in need of a little advice. My anemone hasn't looked great the past few days, its mouth is exposed but not open. Tentacles deflated and it closes up often. Barely every inflated that I've seen recently. It used to look like the first 2 pics. The last one is what it looks like not, sometimes worse

20181204_172352.jpg

20181202_194041.jpg

20181219_174117.jpg

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the 100% water change every 12 hours during treatment, is it better to use newly mixed/heated saltwater or old water from a display?

TIA

DraggingTail

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Amoo what would you rage my 3 week old anemone? He has deflated twice at lights out. I think he is replacing water or something.

dieselkeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm treating a Mertens. It looks very good, tight mouth, opened up enjoying life. I'm on 12 days of treatment. Full water change every day. Clean out all poop. 10 gallons. 250 mg cipro. 6 hours of light per day at the end of 24 hours. It is still pooping black crap. Most looks like big grains of pepper, one or two big pieces. Do I treat until he stops pooping? I'm on day 12.

JasPR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
interesting how we all 'fill in' the condition and 'strength' of such a primitive form or life. I think its mostly in our minds as there are only a few tell tale signs of an anemone in distress-- and 80% of the time, those symptoms are telling you that this animal is on their way to the great sea in the sky no matter what you do! I think that these are not living creatures we should realistically attempt to 'rescue' from the LFS as most looking like they are flirting with death, will indeed die. So buy a healthy specimen! And don't be tempted by color and ideas of turning it around. If its open, its disc is tight and no slim is shedding-- go for it. Settle it into where it will live out ALL its days-- I've never freshwater dipped and never suffered any consequences. If you want to incorporate your gut 'senses' into your analysis of anemone-- know what anemone like in general! If you don't, they will waste unnecessary energy trying to find that condition- of light and current that they need. Its easy if you have a dedicated anemone tank- as the existing inhabitants will TELL YOU what they like in that tank-- the depth that is preferred, the position under your lighting and the current that is most likely to set them up perfectly in position to capture prey. Some new additions will fail anyway- most will adapt and flourish. If they begin to fail, you can try quarantine/ hospital tank and experimentation with chemical compounds. But 90% will die as they are already well on the way to death. Once adapted and acclimated, anemone are remarkably hardy.

skyrne_isk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm treating a Mertens. It looks very good, tight mouth, opened up enjoying life. I'm on 12 days of treatment. Full water change every day. Clean out all poop. 10 gallons. 250 mg cipro. 6 hours of light per day at the end of 24 hours. It is still pooping black crap. Most looks like big grains of pepper, one or two big pieces. Do I treat until he stops pooping? I'm on day 12.
I came to ask the same question. I have giant (18"+) ritteri anemone that deflated a couple weeks after being added to my system. Today is day 8 of Cipro treatment, and the little black balls are still coming out, but not too many. Maybe a 1/2 teaspoon or less worth and less each day. In the past, gigs that have treated I feel like stopped shedding this waste material a couple days in....not sure if I keep up with treatments until no more material is expelled or to just call it as it continually inflated and we are at the >7 days part of treatment. I'll get a pic up tomorrow.

Tihsho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have an online source of Cipro? I've not been able to find any through store sites. Any LFS I contact tells me that I need to get a prescription and no vet will provide one in my area for aquarium use.

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought Ciprofloxacin here:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.3%
Back