New black spots on clowns, but no new corals/nems

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think this is a non-issue, but I noticed my clowns having more black spots lately. I understand that they get black spots from touching new corals and getting stung, such that they start to build up their slime coat or something like that. But they are in a tank with their special toadstool and the same nem that has been in another tank with them for nearly a year, and while they never took residence in the nem, they never shied from touching the nem.

Now, the nem has moved right next to their toadstool, and they are often brushing up against the nem. I assume this is the reason for their new black spots. Does that make sense?

1711863406333.jpeg

Nem is in the background right next to a toadstool, currently with polyps retracted.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These spots are dure to sting the clowns got from hosting by un-natural hosts, polyps, mushroom, leather and the likes. It looks like you have a BTA which is also not a natural host for the clown. I guess it can cause these black spots but unlikely.

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 25.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back