How intense is your RODI profuction/storage setup?

How intense is your RODI syetem?

• I buy it

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BraindeadBiologist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RODI is essential in making safe sea water for our critters and systems. Some are basic filter setups under kitchen sinks with the bucket system, others are completely automated 50 gallon storage and dispensing solutions.
How far have you gone in your quest for RODI water?

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5-Stage Spectrapure MaxCap with Auto-Flush and booster pump. 90gpd.
Two 50g tanks.
At one point I had used this same setup as my ATO and Auto Water Change as well (hence some extra 1/4" line connections at the bottom), but on my current system it's just your standard mixing/storage station.

1666615556139.png

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While not huge, I do have in a separate "fish room" where I keep roughly 40G saltwater, and 40G of RO/DI stored in brute trash cans.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is KISS. 7-stage rodi hooked up to my Irrigation water meter directly after the backflow so I have 65-75 psi all the time. Comes out into a 32gal brute with a float valve. I use a sump pump that's in the trash can to pump it out into anything I need or my 44 gal brute for salt.

OP
OP
BraindeadBiologist

BraindeadBiologist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5-Stage Spectrapure MaxCap with Auto-Flush and booster pump. 90gpd.
Two 50g tanks.
At one point I had used this same setup as my ATO and Auto Water Change as well (hence some extra 1/4" line connections at the bottom), but on my current system it's just your standard mixing/storage station.

1666615556139.png
Wow I need to stop renting so I can have this. Currently I make 5gal buckets at a time when needed and it's exhausting.

OP
OP
BraindeadBiologist

BraindeadBiologist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is KISS. 7-stage rodi hooked up to my Irrigation water meter directly after the backflow so I have 65-75 psi all the time. Comes out into a 32gal brute with a float valve. I use a sump pump that's in the trash can to pump it out into anything I need or my 44 gal brute for salt.
Is this hookup outside? How did you hook it up to the irrigation water meter directly?

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this hookup outside? How did you hook it up to the irrigation water meter directly?
I have two meters. One for the house and one for irrigation. The meter is hooked up to a backflow preventer. After it i just cut the line in my irrigation mainline and hooked up a hose bib. Then run the line inside the house/garage to the rodi. IDK why more people don't do this. If they have two meters.

OP
OP
BraindeadBiologist

BraindeadBiologist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two meters. One for the house and one for irrigation. The meter is hooked up to a backflow preventer. After it i just cut the line in my irrigation mainline and hooked up a hose bib. Then run the line inside the house/garage to the rodi. IDK why more people don't do this. If they have two meters.
It sounds like a solid solution. If I wasn't renting I would have something like this as the plumbing is set up perfectly.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like a solid solution. If I wasn't renting I would have something like this as the plumbing is set up perfectly.
Its not ideal for everyone but a lot of municipalities will put in a second meter for irrigation as you don't get charges sewer fees if its for irrigation use only. My RODI water is a fraction of what some people pay on there water bill.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you gotta have an RO system anyway... why not make use of it?

My 4 stage RO system flows into a pressure tank, where it feeds a drinking water faucet at my sink, and both fridges for ice and chilled water. It also flows through a 3 stage DI system towards my sump closet, where it is plumbed directly to my sump's ATO system, my kalkwasser dosing reservoir, and my mixing station vessel.

The RO filtered drinking water is at least as good as any bottled water, which we were able to quit buying. Plus, crystal clear ice cubes, and filtered water for cooking, coffee, etc.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4 stage, built up over the years. All in the basement with drains for the waste going outside to rain barrels or inside when I need fw for indoor plants. I manually turn it on/off.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is a diy mess of solenoids and a micro controller. It automated everything, well it did until I had a solenoid fail open and waste a lot of water. Who knew the cheapest Amazon solenoids wouldn’t be very reliable. I now manually turn my water on but it still shuts off and does all of its flushes automatically. For storage I use two 32g brute containers. I’m not sure if that qualifies as large storage containers (it doesn’t IMO).

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has gotten complex over the years started as a RO drinking water system now drinking water just is after the carbon filters.

Automated system with DI bypass and 50 gallon container. Degassing chamber that flows into cotainer then water pumped thru 4 stage DI

IMG_2356.JPG

IMG_2863 (1).JPG
Some part of me really wants to see what’s in the box.

OP
OP
BraindeadBiologist

BraindeadBiologist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is a diy mess of solenoids and a micro controller. It automated everything, well it did until I had a solenoid fail open and waste a lot of water. Who knew the cheapest Amazon solenoids wouldn’t be very reliable. I now manually turn my water on but it still shuts off and does all of its flushes automatically. For storage I use two 32g brute containers. I’m not sure if that qualifies as large storage containers (it doesn’t IMO).
Considering I only have 5gal made at a time I think 64g is quite large. Size is relative I suppose

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 330 gallon food grade totes as rodi top off/ storage containers for our barns lagoon and 35 gallon poly tanks for the house..
manual float valves on each container hooked to , ro buddie have combined a few used ro/di and mine is . 2 carbons, 2 sediments,2 carbons 1 chloramine, 1 ro 3 stage di.

i use the litermeter pumps to move the water around and dont do all the heavy plumbing of a pump with a bunch of t's that a typical water setup has.
to mix saltwater for auto water changes i just drop in a powerhead for a few minutes.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering I only have 5gal made at a time I think 64g is quite large. Size is relative I suppose
It’s also relative to the size of your tank(s).
I know several members on here who keep hundreds of gallons of water on hand. I’d like to but don’t have the space, and the tanks that most people use cost more than I’m willing to spend.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I let my Apex fill a 32g brute. Shut off float is secondary to a timer. When it's empty it fills automatically with a 1 minute timer flush and a every hour flush.
My whole house GAC filter to the RO cartridge to anion/cation to mixed bed.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is in my garage and is controlled by my controller system. The first photo is the RODI system. The second is the solenoids used to control it. The third is the control board in the garage behind my workbench where the controllers are located. The forth is of the storage containers which are three 20 gallon brute cans. The one on the right is DI, one is fresh salt water in the middle and one is the mixing tank the one on the left. When the DI tank goes low the controller will turn on the solenoid on the input to the RODI and the one between the RODI and the DI tank. It shuts it off when the tank is full. When the fresh saltwater tank goes low the water in the mixing tank is transferred to it and once complete the mix tank is refill from the RODI like the DI tank except the solenoid between the RODI and the Mix tank is used. I also use the RO side for my ice maker in the fridge so the input solenoid is turned on for 10 minutes every hour to make sure the RO bladder get refilled if it is used. If any leaks are detected it will shut off any of the water processes in the garage. The mix tank and DI tank also have float valves on the RODI output for a backup. The refill process also is times and if the times set for completion is exceeded it turns off all solenoids and sends an alert. There are also dispense pumps in the DI and fresh saltwater tank where I can dispense into containers as needed.

869ECAD4-AE03-4A5C-8037-A460CB6BEEAE.jpeg

0537AAC0-4833-46E7-8122-08B0ACAD1FA2.jpeg

9878D4C0-C49B-47F7-97B6-067CB10BBAD1.jpeg

FD196B20-14C8-4E6F-879A-A26E7FB2C906.jpeg

Big Smelly fish

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make lots of Ro/di water, I use three brute . Two for fresh saltwater, one for fresh water. They are on wheels to roll to tanks.
I have two Spectrapure unit, 90 and 60 gallon a day units.
when I’m raising seahorse fry I do daily water changes and go use a bucket of IO or RC a week .
It’s nothing fancy.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 49 28.8%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 21.8%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 18 10.6%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 59 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back