How long before looking for “missing” fish?

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So… Have (had?) two zebra barred Dartfish in the tank yesterday, today come feeding time one didn’t come out to eat and is nowhere to be seen, but rock work provides a lot of hiding opportunities…

Any guide for how long a fish should be AWOL before looking for the remains before it goes bad?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
So… Have (had?) two zebra barred Dartfish in the tank yesterday, today come feeding time one didn’t come out to eat and is nowhere to be seen, but rock work provides a lot of hiding opportunities…

Any guide for how long a fish should be AWOL before looking for the remains before it goes bad?
These fish are notorious jumpers but also check overflow and sump area and unfortunately on floor , under tank stand and up to 20 feet perimeter around tank

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These fish are notorious jumpers but also check overflow and sump area and unfortunately on floor , under tank stand and up to 20 feet perimeter around tank
Ive had fish be MIA for a month then pop up

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't usually go looking for fish unless they're really large. Usually clean up crew will take care of any remains, or (the happier version) the fish will turn up later alive and kicking around like nothing ever happened.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Agree with @Daniel@R2R - either way - I would make sure you have a good cover (there are many mesh covers available) - I did have my tank moved lately - and there were a couple fish that went missing - despite having a cover

OP
OP
P

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with @Daniel@R2R - either way - I would make sure you have a good cover (there are many mesh covers available) - I did have my tank moved lately - and there were a couple fish that went missing - despite having a cover
Oh, the cover is 1/4” glass so I’m quietly confident these guys aren’t going to make it out the top.

I ended up having a poke around the rockwork and it was hiding out somewhere I couldn’t see from the top/sides.

Took the opportunity to rework some of the rock (no corals yet so making adjustments to aqua scape is easy) and they went and hid under rocks at the other end of the tank.

This time I’ll just wait and see, not gonna force them out into the open if they don’t want to be.

k2-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no simple answer - Observe the parameters - if you see spikes and algae bloom all of a sudden - could be a sign. if its business as usual - dude is probably just chilling -

this advice is besides the couch surfing - which is terrible but happens

Either ways i hope you find him.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Dart fish and Firefish go MIA in my tanks for weeks
Ive had fish be MIA for a month then pop up
Exactly, I have 4 blue Reef dart fish…sometimes I only see 2 for days, sometimes all 4 …no rhyme nor reason to it…

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My firefish was hiding for about 6 weeks before. I dropped a pyrex container I thaw food in and it clunked in the tank and I thought for sure it died after a couple weeks.

They can hide for a looooong time when they want to.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back