How many firefish can I keep?

Shilpan Patel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I have a 105gallon tank with soft coral planning to add LPS. Other inhabitants include a juvenile sailfin tang, 2 clowns, a chromis, a bullet goby, a scooter dragonet, a boxer shrimp and a large hermit crab. I’m aware once the tang is adult size it’ll big too big for his tank.

If I get a foxface, how many firefish can I add to make a school? Alternatively if I don’t get a foxface, how many firefish can my tank safely support in a school?
8D99459B-042E-4564-8D7F-BA75E5510E99.jpeg

Thanks for any advice

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2, if they happen to be male & female.

@eatbreakfast , are there some dartfish that can live in groups? For example, I frequently see trios of the zebra barred (P. zebra) on Diver's Den.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2, if they happen to be male & female.

@eatbreakfast , are there some dartfish that can live in groups? For example, I frequently see trios of the zebra barred (P. zebra) on Diver's Den.
Nemateleotris species, any of the firefish, are pr forming. Pteleotris species, such as zebra, scissortail, blue gudgeon, etc, are social.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, a group of scissortail dartfish may be in my future.

OP should look into the Pteleotris spp you mentioned.

Makers Marc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept 3 red firefish for the past year or so. They all slept in the same darthole in my rock until a few weeks ago, when I returned from vacation two had paired off. The other one relocated to the other side of my 180g.

I knew it would eventually occur. But since I'm not overstocked they are still surviving, just not all together anymore.

OP
OP
S

Shilpan Patel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh ok thank you guys! So I’ll stick to 2 firefish and try to grab a pair if possible.
Maybe I’ll go for a school of bangaii cardinal then. I think anthia schools are hard to look after and chromis schools often don’t succeed well.
I’ll also look into the other species mentioned
Thanks team!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh ok thank you guys! So I’ll stick to 2 firefish and try to grab a pair if possible.
Maybe I’ll go for a school of bangaii cardinal then. I think anthia schools are hard to look after and chromis schools often don’t succeed well.
I’ll also look into the other species mentioned
Thanks team!
NO! Bangaii cardinals are also pr forming. 2 will pr up and kill the rest.

OP
OP
S

Shilpan Patel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dangit, I’ve got all this misinformation from a LFS about 2 years ago and I’ve never bothered to double check it.

Ok so, is there anything that’s good and small enough for a school?

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, a group of scissortail dartfish may be in my future.

OP should look into the Pteleotris spp you mentioned.

As mentioned either Scissortails or the Zebra Dartfish are the only schooling members of the group. Personally though I am not a fan of any dartfish as they are super skittish and often spend lots of time in hiding (who wants a fish that hides most of the time). If you want a good schooling fish that won't bother each other and will hang out in the open, then I would go with Pajama Cardinalfish. They don't establish order via aggression like the Banggai do. They just hang out and float around, but are visible more often than not and have a unique coloration and aren't aggressive towards other fish or one another:

https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1500+5142+5199&pcatid=5199

I have one in my tank and it does hide a bit (though usually still visible in the back of the tank), but it's by itself. It probably would be more bold with a group. Oh and as for Firefish, due to their skittish nature and bright coloration they are often the number 1 target of bullies. When I had a Flame Angel it literally targeted my Purple Firefish within about 20 seconds of being introduced in the tank and would never let it out of it's cave unless it wasn't looking. Just saying with a Tang and the Clowns it may be a problem.

Tft12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always seen firefish kept in groups at many LFSs...so I tried that at home in a large tank...didn't work out. My experience has been what @eatbreakfast has posted. I've had a group of zebra dartfish for a few years that have always done well together but firefish won't last as a group for long.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned either Scissortails or the Zebra Dartfish are the only schooling members of the group. Personally though I am not a fan of any dartfish as they are super skittish and often spend lots of time in hiding (who wants a fish that hides most of the time). If you want a good schooling fish that won't bother each other and will hang out in the open, then I would go with Pajama Cardinalfish. They don't establish order via aggression like the Banggai do. They just hang out and float around, but are visible more often than not and have a unique coloration and aren't aggressive towards other fish or one another:

https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+1500+5142+5199&pcatid=5199

I have one in my tank and it does hide a bit (though usually still visible in the back of the tank), but it's by itself. It probably would be more bold with a group. Oh and as for Firefish, due to their skittish nature and bright coloration they are often the number 1 target of bullies. When I had a Flame Angel it literally targeted my Purple Firefish within about 20 seconds of being introduced in the tank and would never let it out of it's cave unless it wasn't looking. Just saying with a Tang and the Clowns it may be a problem.
Zebra and scissortail dartfish are pretty bold.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks. I think cardinals are a good suggestion. I've thought about a pair of bangais. Pajama cardinals, although interesting and different, are just so ugly to me.

PDR

<°)))>{
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

BoBoBREWSKI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are several people here who have successfully kept more than 1 firefish. I've have a regular firefish and a purple firefish in my nano without any issues.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 37 47.4%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 18 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.7%
Back