How many Hobbyist are having fish shipped?

dh350twin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, reading another thread about acclimating a shipped fish and was surprised how many experts chimed in.
How many of you hobbyist have fish shipped and transshipped?
It seems as though if your a true hobbyist your also a detective set out to find clues on how to get the fish you want cheaper, quicker,healthier,etc.
Everyone I have met seems to know someone that knows someone that can get that nice fish the LFS has for much less lol. YES IM QUILTY.
Who else is quilty and let's really get into some good conversation.
[emoji106]

roberthu526

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy most of my fish online now. LFS here are not very good and charge way too much on most livestock. It's very hard to support someone that always try to take advantage of you. Besides, many online suppliers give one week live guarantee.

OP
OP
dh350twin

dh350twin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy most of my fish online now. LFS here are not very good and charge way too much on most livestock. It's very hard to support someone that always try to take advantage of you. Besides, many online suppliers give one week live guarantee.

Where are you buying from and how has your experience been?

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are you buying from and how has your experience been?

My LFS had a 1 1/2-2" purple tang for $225 that was hiding in the corner. NYA has a 2-3" for $75.

OP
OP
dh350twin

dh350twin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also I myself buy most of my fish from tsmcorals.com I do this because I have bought fish from everywhere over the years. Including wholesalers. What I like about TSM is I have went there to pick up a pair of crosshatch triggers and Ray showed me exactly how they qt all there fish and it is far better then I can do myself and leaps and bounds over others even DD and the like.

jeff williams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the fish I buy out of Lfs tanks get ick , I've been ordering fish from a local petco and when they receive them they call me and I pick them up in the bagged from the wholesaler. I less tank to contact a parisitic from. Also couple local reefers in my area order fish and its a lot cheaper

OP
OP
dh350twin

dh350twin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the fish I buy out of Lfs tanks get ick , I've been ordering fish from a local petco and when they receive them they call me and I pick them up in the bagged from the wholesaler. I less tank to contact a parisitic from. Also couple local reefers in my area order fish and its a lot cheaper

Could you give us an example of what you have ordered and what you have paid? I don't know but feel your kinda limited buying from Petco. I consider myself a beginner collector.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the fish I buy out of Lfs tanks get ick , I've been ordering fish from a local petco and when they receive them they call me and I pick them up in the bagged from the wholesaler. I less tank to contact a parisitic from.

Hmmm, I didn't know that was an option.

Also couple local reefers in my area order fish and its a lot cheaper
From where? Like a group buy?

masssnapz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you give us an example of what you have ordered and what you have paid? I don't know but feel your kinda limited buying from Petco. I consider myself a beginner collector.
Petco can get you pretty much anything, there just has to be an enthusiastic person running the dept.

jeff williams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, I didn't know that was an option.

From where? Like a group buy?
Ya talk with your local petco person that does the fish ordering they can buy from about every wholesaler and then tell them to call ya when they show up. And I found my local reefer group on Facebook joined there page and both groups have a person that runs a fish ordering system

jeff williams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most recent I bought 2 banggai cardnals and a yellow stripped gobie and a Mollie from petco I think the banggais were about 14-15$ same on the gobie the Mollie was like 3-4$ the local reefers the banggais are about 7-8$ Molly 2$

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't bought from them yet, just using them as a comparison. They get good reviews from other members.
They're a great vendor.

Also I buy all of my fish online. Local LFS options are few and far between and every fish comes with velvet at 2-3x the price and no guarantee.

tdunmore2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've ordered from Liveaquaria a few times. Had overall good experiences. Once I had a DOA, but they were helpful. Haven't bought from any other online fish suppliers, as I'm always concerned with DOA or parasites. I'm in the process of cycling a QT for this purpose and plan to try NYAquatics. Seems like coral is way easier to find solid online retailers for than fish.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 76 35.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back