How much does it cost you to ship your corals?

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to send some of my corals to R2R friends. So naturally I look at UPS to get a price estimate. Something like 1 or 2 day shipping, 12 or 18 inch box, 10 pounds or so. Then I see numbers like $400+. That can't be right. Online coral shops are shipping for $30-50.

Anyone have an Idiot's Guide To Shipping Your Corals? Specifically the chapter on where/how to ship for $50 or less? Thanks a billion, or at least 400+!

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pay on average 40-50 for corals to be shipped to me, and I have been told by multiple companies the flat rate they charge is less than it actually costs them and they lose money. I can’t see it costing 200, I imagine it’s in the 50-75 range

Ok just tested. First use PayPal for discounted usps and ups. PayPal shipstation, you can shop with or without a PayPal order/transaction for the coral. IE: if you sell directly you can use PayPal just for label purchase / creation purposes

I just did a quote for a 10x10x10 box, distance approx 850 miles, and this is the options

5EFDEB6A-5EE4-4170-BCBD-54B6C692B218.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pay on average 40-50 for corals to be shipped to me, and I have been told by multiple companies the flat rate they charge is less than it actually costs them and they lose money. I can’t see it costing 200, I imagine it’s in the 50-75 range

Ok just tested. First use PayPal for discounted usps and ups. PayPal shipstation, you can shop with or without a PayPal order/transaction for the coral. IE: if you sell directly you can use PayPal just for label purchase / creation purposes

I just did a quote for a 10x10x10 box, distance approx 850 miles, and this is the options

5EFDEB6A-5EE4-4170-BCBD-54B6C692B218.png
I will figure out how to do that and try it. For coral, next day air is it, right? Do coral survive 2nd day air?

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will figure out how to do that and try it. For coral, next day air is it, right? Do coral survive 2nd day air?
Next day air is by 10:30
Next day air saver is by end of day

I have had coral shipped 2 day air and be fine but it was things like zoanthids, cloves, snails/crabs. I wouldn’t suggest shipping torch or leathers or anything remotely sensitive two days

Have to keep in mind there’s a risk of delay and overnight can become 2 day and 2 day could become 3 day and it’s rare but out of your control

So. What are you overnighting me?

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have had coral shipped 2 day air and be fine but it was things like zoanthids, cloves, snails/crabs. I wouldn’t suggest shipping torch or leathers or anything remotely sensitive two days

Have to keep in mind there’s a risk of delay and overnight can become 2 day and 2 day could become 3 day and it’s rare but out of your control

I have these amazing corals that you will love. They are called Pandoras.

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I can also send a coral called nuclear death paly. I know it sounds scary, but trust me, it's so much more horrifying in person!

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told by UPS when I asked about the pricing difference for me to ship versus what I pay to have it shipped by the vendor is that the vendor has an account with them. I don’t know if that is true, just the answer I was given.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A one off residential shipment overnight UPS is between $40-180, depending on location for me. Businesses that ship alot have preferred rates and pickup of packages. Sometimes they just charge more for the coral to make up for the shipping fee also. I don’t ship though, because I can’t make the 4:30 pm cutoff time for overnight shipment.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A one off residential shipment overnight UPS is between $40-180, depending on location for me. Businesses that ship alot have preferred rates and pickup of packages. Sometimes they just charge more for the coral to make up for the shipping fee also. I don’t ship though, because I can’t make the 4:30 pm cutoff time for overnight shipment.
$180 OMG! THAT’S INSANE!

Mhamilton0911

BitterSalty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never pay for labels at the store, always use a company online to buy labels, seriously saves you money. I use Pirate Ship all the time, for my basic packages I ship for my business, if I were to go to the post office, I'd pay 13-15$ on a single label, online with pirate ship, I'm paying on average able 5$.

I haven't price quoted overnight for Corals, but I'd imagine the savings are still there.

Also the weight and box size really changes prices. Use the smallest insulated box you can find that will fit the pretties, and use the minimum about of water (like specimen cups) to save on weight. Shipping excess weight costs extra.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$180 OMG! THAT’S INSANE!
That’s the “discount price”, too. People really take for granted how expensive shipping really is. Even with discount sites, it can be over $100 to ship one package overnight across the country in the US.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 10 7.8%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 36 28.1%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 61 47.7%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 14.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back