How much is this going to cost me?

Nick92515

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd just get a new tank. I know it costs more right now but if the tank busts then you lose the tank, inhabitants, and damage your home with corrosive water. Please think carefully about the long term affects of not buying a different tank.

+1000

Trust me, a few hundred is nothing in this hobby, seems like a lot at once, but a 30$ frag a week and all other expenses will surpass that. Plus new tanks are pristine and scratch free.

OP
OP
BC1906

BC1906

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice terrarium.180 gallons of water in your living room not worth it.

Starting to look that way.

Would it be possible to drill the bulkhead hole bigger which would remove the chip and install a larger bulkhead? Or would it make it too close to the other hole?

OP
OP
BC1906

BC1906

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1000

Trust me, a few hundred is nothing in this hobby, seems like a lot at once, but a 30$ frag a week and all other expenses will surpass that. Plus new tanks are pristine and scratch free.

If I can find them for the price you see them for I would get one. $1000+ for a new tank is simply a little out of my budget right now. I'm not in a rush to set this up so I'm just trying to see what options are out there.

If I sold the tank as a terrarium how much do you think I could ask for it?

Nick92515

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the terrarium comment was a joke.

As far as drilling them bigger I wouldn't know how to do it because the key is to have the drill bit in the center centered and stay steady as your Drilling and you have nothing for the center drill bit to drill.
I wonder if you adhere a piece of glass underneath the bulkheads wait for the Cure then drill centered 1 1/4 hole that may work.

Online tanks are more than lfs due to shipping. Check a few lfs before you make a decision. Im 100% on my prices, wouldnt buy a used tank again.

mallorieGgator

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I can find them for the price you see them for I would get one. $1000+ for a new tank is simply a little out of my budget right now. I'm not in a rush to set this up so I'm just trying to see what options are out there.

If I sold the tank as a terrarium how much do you think I could ask for it?

I don't know what tank you're looking at for that much but really a tank that size you can probably get for around $500?

OP
OP
BC1906

BC1906

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm not sure it was a joke. If no one would trust using it as an aquarium what else would I be able to use it for? Seems like a waste just to throw it away.

I don't know what tank you're looking at for that much but really a tank that size you can probably get for around $500?

I have only looked online. I've reached out to some local aquarium manufacture to see how much they are. If you look online and type in 180g Marineland drilled tank they cost $1000. That may include the shipping which is why it's more

OP
OP
BC1906

BC1906

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First quote I got for either a marineland/aqueon. Price is with me picking up and installing myself.

180 not drilled $750
180 dual overflows $830
210 dual overflows $925

Where does everyone live that sees them for cheaper? I'm in Tampa Florida

ss95003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first saw pic I though chip in glass from drilling the hole. you later confirmed chip. I personally wouldn't worry. looks rounded to me and should not grow.

CenlaReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would see if you could work something out from the seller. You obviously paid for it with the knowledge that the tank was in usable, safe condition. Of course it is not as you have discovered.

tom reilly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your determined you can redrill the old holes.you will have to make a jig the size of old holes to keep the hole saw centered.
Check with a glass shop and see if they would be able to do this.

ss95003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't re drill look how big that whole will be, first is there a bulk head that size, second look how small the glass between the two holes will be. I would guess that is weaker then this possible chip. Chips happen all the time drilling, granted they are usually covered by flange.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

As far as drilling them bigger I wouldn't know how to do it because the key is to have the drill bit in the center centered and stay steady as your Drilling and you have nothing for the center drill bit to drill.
I wonder if you adhere a piece of glass underneath the bulkheads wait for the Cure then drill centered 1 1/4 hole that may work.

Online tanks are more than lfs due to shipping. Check a few lfs before you make a decision. Im 100% on my prices, wouldnt buy a used tank again.

You'd use a standard hole saw (with a center bit) for an acrylic tank, but for a glass tank, there is no center bit. An experienced glass driller can start a hole without a guide, but I'd highly recommend using a guide to drill any glass hole. A guide is simply a piece of acrylic or plywood with a hole the size of the bit. It is clamped of taped to the glass you wish to drill, and keeps the bit from dancing around.

As far as enlarging the hole. The general rule is that you want to be at least a diameter's length to the next nearest hole.

OP
OP
BC1906

BC1906

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Received some other quotes for a new tank and they are all $900+. Does it make a difference now that it is a chip Vs a crack as I originally thought? Would siliconing 2 pieces of glass on the inside and outside of the chip be a better option now since it is a chip and not a crack?

Bdog4u2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd use the tank. the area around your bulkhead isn't under the same stress as the main section where you have rock and sand imo

indyjaco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have time to wait, Marineland does bi yearly sales. I picked up a 180G with overflows for $650 last year.

ss95003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You absolutely can not make that hole bigger look how much closer to the other hole it will be. Then look at how much lager the flange is on a bulkhead compared to hole. I don't see you getting it on there since it will hit the other bulkhead.

And yes it matters that it's a chip vs crack, one is common when drilling the other will leak. What you do not want is a chip with star shaped edges the points may grow.

You should be fine using it. If you are that worried fill er up in the garage and let it sit for a month, is this an end all test, no. But like I said chips are common while drilling, I admit this is bigger then normal the person must have been applying pressure instead of letting the bit do the work.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BC1906

BC1906

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I've been communicating with some lfs and aquarium glass manufactures. $850 is the cheapest tank so far and that is a sale price. $500 to replace the bottom panel. Most of the lfs and glass manufactures said that it should be safe to use. I'm going to continue to look around and see what I come up with. Maybe I can find another used tank only and really inspect it this time

Nick92515

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'd use a standard hole saw (with a center bit) for an acrylic tank, but for a glass tank, there is no center bit. An experienced glass driller can start a hole without a guide, but I'd highly recommend using a guide to drill any glass hole. A guide is simply a piece of acrylic or plywood with a hole the size of the bit. It is clamped of taped to the glass you wish to drill, and keeps the bit from dancing around.

As far as enlarging the hole. The general rule is that you want to be at least a diameter's length to the next nearest hole.

Learn something new. This is why i dont even try drilling anything.

OP
OP
BC1906

BC1906

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a better pic

20170123_172931.jpg

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me get this straight......that's a chip out on the nut side? If that's the case, you're just fine....you don't need to do anything.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back