Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$200 CDN.
Getting nicer every year.
Almost could not tell the difference between them and now banned wild caught ones I viewed today.
Worth every penny.
Great fish.

MJY

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious how many people actually invest that kind of money on yt there? And how does it stack up vs other fish? How much do purple or gem tang cost in AU?

I currently have a Yellow Tang that cost me $1,200, a Gem Tang that cost me $1,600 and a Purple Tang that cost me $500. Yes that is crazy money, but they were the three "must have" fish for me in my upcoming system. They are all currently getting to know each other in QT and behaving surprisingly well.

Gem Tang - price range is approximately $1,500 - $2,500
Purple Tang - price range is approximately $300 - $600

Another cracker for you would be Flame Angles, I just paid $650 for one! Insanity!

A lot of people are investing those figures in show piece fish now, and as such the sacristy and lack of availability due to import restrictions has driven the price up exponentially in the past 3 years.

Cool tangs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a Yellow Tang that cost me $1,200, a Gem Tang that cost me $1,600 and a Purple Tang that cost me $500. Yes that is crazy money, but they were the three "must have" fish for me in my upcoming system. They are all currently getting to know each other in QT and behaving surprisingly well.

Gem Tang - price range is approximately $1,500 - $2,500
Purple Tang - price range is approximately $300 - $600

Another cracker for you would be Flame Angles, I just paid $650 for one! Insanity!

A lot of people are investing those figures in show piece fish now, and as such the sacristy and lack of availability due to import restrictions has driven the price up exponentially in the past 3 years.
Totally agree beautiful fish!

We're do you live that's insane!

Gems you can get for $999, usually hover on the $1200 mark
Purples $300, they have dropped in price
Flame angels no more then $350
But yeah our yellow tangs sadly expensive :(

This is aus pricing

Happy reefing

findingDory

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in mancheater/ new hampshire/ USA. I saw one for $599.99 :) it is about 4 in. And i assume it is wild caught.

AEA68297-BA45-4FFE-87E2-475EE3A95580.jpeg 59212E7B-91EE-4549-B094-2F557EF82B6D.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small Yellows go for about 400 USD here and medium Gem tangs 300 USD.
I'm in South Africa
That’s surprising that Gems aren’t cheaper over there as they’re natives. Is that due to the depth they’re collected at?

NanoJHB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s surprising that Gems aren’t cheaper over there as they’re natives. Is that due to the depth they’re collected at?
You see plenty of them when diving along the reefs here. Majority of the reefs are in protected marine reserves. There's also a lot of red tape and hoops to jump through when selling local species.

Most of the ones sold here are mainly collected from Mauritius last I read.

VCreamer87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Caught this interesting discussion on fb- how much are your local fish stores currently charging for yellow tangs? Love to hear your feed back:
Your city/state/country, yellow tang price (USD), are they wild or biota captive bred, and what size?

I am in WI and no lfs has any yellow tangs (that I know of) right now. Found some biota captive bred ones in Chicago couple weeks back for $150 each at 2”.
Just a survey for data not soliciting opinions on trade politics.
225 for a juvenile ridiculously high
I’m in New Jersey

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 70 77.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.6%
Back