How much water agitation do we really need during power outage?

wisnia99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I have a backup battery that can power on the powerheads for several hours. I have the sump/return pump in the basement and I don't have enough juice to have that on as well.
In this video you can see that surface agitation that the powerheads make is this enough to oxygenate the water during power outage? (no return pum/skimmer)

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need enough to provide good gas exchange... If you're home when the outage occurs, in addition to the power head, you can add a battery operated airstone and/or use the pitcher method - several times an hour, remove some water from the tank and, holding the container a reasonable height above the water, pour it slowly back in.

Upvote 0

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I have a backup battery that can power on the powerheads for several hours. I have the sump/return pump in the basement and I don't have enough juice to have that on as well.
In this video you can see that surface agitation that the powerheads make is this enough to oxygenate the water during power outage? (no return pum/skimmer)

I have a similar setup - one of my powerheads is connected to an Icecap battery backup. I have it positioned so that when the tank is operating normally, it makes ripples like yours, but when the power is off (and the display tank water level falls a little), it breaks the surface enough to make an annoying splashing noise...

Upvote 0

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
...you can add a battery operated airstone...
Agreed, a couple of battery-powered air pumps with air stones are good to have on hand.
*for power outage longer than a couple of hours, I always throw 2 directly in my tank,,, even with wavemaker on battery backup

Upvote 0

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, a couple of battery-powered air pumps with air stones are good to have on hand.
*for power outage longer than a couple of hours, I always throw 2 directly in my tank,,, even with wavemaker on battery backup
*And in a couple more hours, I'm cranking up the generator :)

Upvote 0

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*And in a couple more hours, I'm cranking up the generator :)
That's ideal.
I don't have a generator so just white knuckle it and float Ziploc bags of ice if necessary. *no home AC during long power outage is biggest problem for me but, luckily, doesn't happen often

Upvote 0

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's ideal.
I don't have a generator so just white knuckle it and float Ziploc bags of ice if necessary. *no home AC during long power outage is biggest problem for me but, luckily, doesn't happen often
Yeah, I'm in Southeast Texas, so the majority of outages caused by storms are in the hotter months. I've got a dozen or so bottles of RODI (just in case they leak) in the freezer and use airstones and the "pitcher method" I described above. My generator isn't large enough to run my home's AC, but I can plug in a few fans and try to stay comfortable while I let the return pump run for a bit. We had a bad power outage (because we have a power grid that's decrepit and not connected to any of the rest of the country's grids) a few winters ago and some were without power for a week -the temp was below freezing for 8 days in some parts of Texas -- not a big deal if the electricity is on, but catastrophic if not. I was lucky and only had an outage for about 6 hours... I wrapped my tank in a sleeping bag and would have turned on the genny for the heaters if needed but luckily didn't have to. Big enough outage and unfortunately, the tank will be the last thing I'm worrying about.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
wisnia99

wisnia99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need enough to provide good gas exchange... If you're home when the outage occurs, in addition to the power head, you can add a battery operated airstone and/or use the pitcher method - several times an hour, remove some water from the tank and, holding the container a reasonable height above the water, pour it slowly back in.
I cant include the air stone if Im not home. If Im home I will power up the generator. This question is about if I'm not here will this be enough water movement. Thanks!

Upvote 0

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant include the air stone if Im not home. If Im home I will power up the generator. This question is about if I'm not here will this be enough water movement. Thanks!
Point the power head toward the surface

Upvote 0

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 44 81.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.6%
Back