Power outage what to do?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its battery powered it says indoor and outdoor its not powered by gas.
That's just another battery back up, different from the gas generator we were recommending

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's just another battery back up, different from the gas generator we were recommending
Yeah but i cant run gas im not home that day. Im starting new job. And its impossible for me to run one. That day going to be absolutely crucial

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about a combination of responses. Start heating basement now, insulate any windows, doors and tank. Use battery power for circulation. Set heater a few degrees cooler(as backup). Reduce surface agitation to slow evaporative cooling. 6 hours isn't that long, but you'll be gone longer and can't manage in real time. Like @EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal said, run a test run tomorrow; know how the tank will respond. Optimize on Sunday. Game day on Monday

sheel be right

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how bigs the tank man, have you though of running battery powered air pumps with a stone to maintain flow in the tank and sump? ive done that in a 7 hour outage and ive also manually stood over my tank in a 4 hour outage hand pumping air, with the temperature issue i think you might be able to scrape by but i cant for sure know (australian climate).

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok
1) a battery generator won’t run 1000 w heaters for long. The ratings are different
Example - - 2000 watt hour battery generator has a 15% loss due to efficiency so the running time for a 2000 watt battery powered generator is

Working time = Wh* 0.85 / operating power of your device

(2000 * .85 ) / 1000w heater = 1.7 hours

2) you can prep for this. Every hour without heat your temp drops closer to ambient. What’s your current temp? Can you afford to raise by 1 degree temporarily for a few days. It could buy you a few hours

3) buy a oil filled space heater. They look like a radiator from the 60s and pump out massive heat. Pump that room ambient temp up as much as you can the day before the outage

Insulate the tank before you leave. Packing blankets, Mylar wrap. Whatever.

6 hours will not be long I would only expect the tank to drop a few degrees with some careful planning

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok
1) a battery generator won’t run 1000 w heaters for long. The ratings are different
Example - - 2000 watt hour battery generator has a 15% loss due to efficiency so the running time for a 2000 watt battery powered generator is

Working time = Wh* 0.85 / operating power of your device

(2000 * .85 ) / 1000w heater = 1.7 hours

2) you can prep for this. Every hour without heat your temp drops closer to ambient. What’s your current temp? Can you afford to raise by 1 degree temporarily for a few days. It could buy you a few hours

3) buy a oil filled space heater. They look like a radiator from the 60s and pump out massive heat. Pump that room ambient temp up as much as you can the day before the outage

Insulate the tank before you leave. Packing blankets, Mylar wrap. Whatever.

6 hours will not be long I would only expect the tank to drop a few degrees with some careful planning
Whst i was thinking is. Like the 1000w is the peak. Ov seen it peaks at 1000w for a min and drops back to very minimal wattsge for the heater. Its not continuous 1000w

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know when the outage is. Get the basement as warm as possible. Use some space heaters or something. It will be totally fine over 6 hours if you can get the basement to 75 or so. By the time the power comes back I bet your tank is only down to 75. Won’t hurt it one bit.
^^^VERY GOOD IDEA!!

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whst i was thinking is. Like the 1000w is the peak. Ov seen it peaks at 1000w for a min and drops back to very minimal wattsge for the heater. Its not continuous 1000w
1000 is not peak but I understand what you mean. Heaters have two settings. On and off. It’s either on at 1000 or off

Normally, heater is off, your tank cools A tiny bit, it comes on for whatever time needed to get back to 77 or whatever. Rinse and repeat

If the entire ambient room is drifting downwards, it will be a constant fight for the heater to maintain the water temp, causing it to run more and more constantly

A 2000 watt hour battery generator by my research is quite expensive. Like $1000+

You could get this
Limited-time deal: EF ECOFLOW Solar Generator DELTA Max (2000) 2016Wh with 160W Solar Panel, 6 X 2400W (5000W Surge) AC Outlets, Portable Power Station for Home Backup Outdoors Camping RV Emergency https://a.co/d/2SNbCir

And have the solar panel outside with an extension cable charging the generator. It has the 2000 watt capacity and could be recharging as it uses power

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own 3 smaller battery / solar generator by the way, I started buying them as I can afford to prep for power outages for my multiple tanks and have used them successfully

1) get dc return pump. They are incredibly efficient. This will provide circulation

2) get smaller temp heaters. It won’t be enough to heat the whole tank but can help

3) maybe run one power head on it also for additional circulation

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own 3 smaller battery / solar generator by the way, I started buying them as I can afford to prep for power outages for my multiple tanks and have used them successfully

1) get dc return pump. They are incredibly efficient. This will provide circulation

2) get smaller temp heaters. It won’t be enough to heat the whole tank but can help

3) maybe run one power head on it also for additional circulation
He has an ecotech battery backup for a powerhead.

ReefingDreams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you really want to spend the money on the electric battery "generator", get some higher amp hour batteries (think they have 7.5AH batteries in that brand available). Place your heater and probe in the display and run the heater from that from the time you're leaving for work that morning. When the power goes out, use your ecotech backup for the powerheads only. You'll be fine. The sump water may be a bit chilly when it kicks back on, but not cold enough to be an issue. In coral reefs, the currents can bring in cold swaths of water at a moment's notice.

ReefingDreams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me, I'd just run my powerheads on backup and not worry about temperature since your basement isn't likely to get much cooler since you already don't have it heated.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might have outages myself later. This is some of my power backup gear. Making sure everything is charged up and ready. I have a battery backup for each tank, these are about the size of a car battery but are lithium cells inside. I can charge phones, run lamps, they have bright led flood lights built in and can light up a room. Super versatile to have. Plus a rechargeable fan, flashlights etc

D1AD5F04-6958-43FE-95A1-E37F35B1ADE5.jpeg

OP
OP
Notsolostfish

Notsolostfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, how did the tank do with the power outage today?

And how was the first day of the new job?
The power outage didnt happen, because the heavy rain, its going to be rescheduled till next week monday. Also the bridge that i cross to get to work, they closed it completely because they found something concerning with it. So now it takes me 2 hours to get to work everytime from 32 min. But it was good

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your over-thinking this.

You have a battery backup and a ecotech backup.
When you leave for work, disconnect power, have backup power in place and running. Disconnect the main pump in the sump. (heater should be in display on backup)
If it even only runs for a couple hours you will be fine.
My 75 has gone 5 hours with no power at all. Dipped to about 69/70 and zero water movement. SPS and fish were fine.
When you get home, get heat in the sump and fire the pump back on.

I'm in the northeast so I know about cold basements and my sump is down there too.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 109 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.4%
Back