How often do you change PH probe on your Apex?

DaveMorris

MACNA2016 Co-Chair
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the statements that after initial calibration your probes should not need to be calibrated all that often. ORP probes do need to be calibrated at least once to make sure they are balanced with the electronics they are attached to. I usually don't worry about calibrating my ph probe until I notice a steady drop happening.

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I calibrate every 6 months. The pH probes tend to drift a bit over time and calibrating them on a set schedule helps alleviate the drift. If you are ever in doubt of whether you need to calibrate or not, just buy the packets of pH calibration solution and stick your probe in it. If it is the 7.0 packet and your probe doesn't read 7.0, you need to calibrate. If you're dipping in the 10.0 and it doesn't read 10.0, you need to calibrate. I've never heard of not calibrating your pH probe, but then again, I used to do environmental water testing for the EPA so they have stricter standards.

The calibration packets are about a $1/each and it takes 5 mins to calibrate. I honestly don't see why you would not calibrate to keep your readings on point.

To the OP first question, I would keep using the same probe until it can't maintain calibration anymore. We averaged a good 2-3 years from our probes used in the groundwater sampling equipment before they couldn't hold calibration anymore. Currently, I've had my 2 probes in my tank for over 4 years and they still hold the calibration well so I've had no need to replace them yet. When I do, I'm probably sport for the lab grade one to use with my CaRX since precision is very important in that scenario.

Last edited:

JMSKI333

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I calibrate once every year. I have had the same probe for roughly 3-4 years and it still seems super sharp. It recalibrates fine and after recalibration the reading doesn't change much. I keep the probe in a dark location so it doesn't get much build up on it.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bring up this questions again. My PH is not rising or falling, just basically staying flat 7.98 when it was reading 8.2ish and falling at night. I have had the lab grade probe for 18 months and just recalibrated it for the first time. the calibrations read 7.63 and 10.51.

What do you think? time for a new one?? @Terence

Back