How often do you check your params?

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often do you check your params, Cal, Alk, and Mag? I am finding that I suck at it and always put it off till things start to look poorly.

RogerWilco357

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to check my parameters every day for like 2 months when i first got the tank setup after that every other day then weekly now every other week after water changes usually. stuff gets expensive ..

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the beginning or when I make a major change I test parameters often enough to establish a demand and dosage, then I set my calcium reactor based on the demand and monitor very infrequently after that.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started doing it every single day while while I was getting my Mag dosing started, and then again every day when I started vodka dosing. However, I'm down to probably 1 or 2 times a week.

subielover

Renegade reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About the same for me, once or twice a week. I find it gives me a chance to be up and close to the tank for a few extra minutes, lol

VegasRick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once the tank is dialed in about once a week for alk. Maybe once every couple of months for other things. Before its dialed in its every couple of days for alk.

bigkai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
iv been trying to raise my mag so im testing mag every day and every thang else every other week

emureef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually test my alk every couple of days as i kinda have a feel for how much gets used in my tank, same thing with my calc. But i tend to test less often for calc. The calc tests are pretty expensive but lately i've had a good feel for how much i need to add and not really have to test. If i think something might be off ill test but other than that its once or twice here and there.

TropicalReefCorals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My intentions (although not always followed) are to check the SPS tank every week. Softies and LPS are checked every other week, although I can usually tell by observation when the tanks need a water change. The softies and LPS show it most - they just don't look as bright and colorful. The SPS won't have as much polyp extension and tend to lose some color when the tank parameters are off.

After changing out the media in the calcium reactor I will check more often - every 2-3 days to make sure it's dialed in correctly. It usually takes several small adjustments to get everything on the money. Same as when the CO2 tank is changed out, I'll really keep an eye out then. We have a Milwaukee ph meter to measure and adjust the effluent of the calcium reactor, providing much more precise measurements. The key seems to keep the tank's parameters from bouncing around all over. If they're out of range, slowly bring them back into range. Like they say, nothing happens fast in this hobby except disaster.

Rick & Terry
Tropical Reef Corals

dougers31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whenever I remember. Usually its about once a month but if the tank seems a little off then I test more frequently. After a while you start to read your corals and they'll let ya know how things are doin.

Michael7979

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW! After skimming thru this article I'm testing less often then the majority.
I test about every two weeks, give or take a few days.
Maybe I should start to test weekly?

gweston

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When my tank was VERY new, I was testing very frequently. A couple times a week at least. I was still learning the tank and figuring out dosing amounts.

Now that the tank is a year old and stable, I 'try' to test weekly. However often it ends up being every month for all parameters. I'll test Calcium, Magnesium, and Alk more often. I use a Seachem ammonia badge on my tank. Handy little thing. The tank -should- never have ammonia of course if it is healthy, but the badge adds a layer of protection/comfort. If for some reason there is a spike, I'll know that something died and is polluting the water, or immediate intervention is required.

I haven't needed to test PH since I got an Apex controller. Best thing I purchased for the tank so far I think.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 87 44.4%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 68 34.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 27 13.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%

Back