How to add a second tank to current apex gold 30' away?

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have a second system set up in my home that I would like to add to my apex if I can. Problem; I would need wiring to run about 30'. I want to add a 3rd eb8, temp and ph. What would be the best way to do it and not cost a fortune?

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need a "A to A usb"

USBfirewire.com is where I got my 30ft cable to connect my apex from my main display to my frag tank. Email them and they will get the right cable for you. They are well known on the apex forums and just tell them what you need it for and they will know exactly what you need.

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need a "A to A usb"

USBfirewire.com is where I got my 30ft cable to connect my apex from my main display to my frag tank. Email them and they will get the right cable for you. They are well known on the apex forums and just tell them what you need it for and they will know exactly what you need.
Thank you :D Are there extensions for basic probes as well? And can you hook up 2 ph and 2 temperature probes to the main unit in the 1st place?

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will need to add a pm1 module or any other module you want to monitor on the 2nd system. Extensions for probes aren't available

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there extensions for the pm module and will I need one for each probe?

Depending on what you want to monitor. The pm1 does ph and temp, so you would need those probes obviously.

To hook it up via the long cable just plug the one end into an open aqua bus slot on your main system then run it to your other system. You can plug it into an eb8 or whatever you want on that end and go from there like on your main system. As you plug in everything you will see everything come up in fusion.

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you :D that's where I was not sure of... where I could plug the pm1 into to control the ph and temp. So all I really need to do is add an eb8 on the long extension then plug the pm1 to the eb8 then probes to pm1. Correct?

ngvu1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes .

Also you can get a 25 feet USB extension cable with a 15 feet USB A to A cable to get beyond 30 feet...

Thank you :D that's where I was not sure of... where I could plug the pm1 into to control the ph and temp. So all I really need to do is add an eb8 on the long extension then plug the pm1 to the eb8 then probes to pm1. Correct?

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will be controlling a simple little 45g. 1 powerhead, skimmer, return, 165w leds, heater and moonlight. Ato will run separately. Sump night lamp. Thank you both very much!

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need help/advice...
I got 2 25' a to a USB connected together, this give me a male and a female end. If I am wrong it should be male and male? And i then hook up pm1 to the extension then to eb8 off the main unit? Because there are no open locations on the main head unit?

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you need male to male ends. You can hook the new pm1 to any module or eb8 that has an open aqua bus connection.

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you need male to male ends. You can hook the new pm1 to any module or eb8 that has an open aqua bus connection.
Well it turns out that's exactly what I ordered and that's not what they sent.... ugh. I think rather than returning it and going through all that mess I'm just going to look for an adapter

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back