OP
A

abryant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lets see a tank pic of the setup

very interesting to see how things present if the rock was dry when added, no bacteria and a fish plus daily fish feed.
ED85F8E3-1969-4C85-9F3F-5EEF2A0A3477.jpeg

These are the only pics I got currently but I will send you better ones when I get home but I originally did add batteria (fritz nuterifing)

Attachments

• FDE11B60-7B0E-4D76-88A9-C00C8D74AEF7.jpeg
    FDE11B60-7B0E-4D76-88A9-C00C8D74AEF7.jpeg
    193.2 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_4095.MOV
    13.2 MB

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to google that/ I kept thinking how did it survive with zero bac input

perhaps the fish alone could withstand the burn until bac it brought in itself/adhered to slime coat sloughed off and brought up the system but that daily feed input would really be the test/no clouding in the pic coming up I'll be impressed by the potential suspension cycling ability of ocean water.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
**how did you have time to attach an anemone to all dry rocks in a week

some of that rock was wet, from the pet store?

100% of the rock was dry, from the pet store, with no life attached and you inputted the anemone and clown separate from the rock?

what an interesting reef tank cycle. among cookie cutter cycles this one stands out / need to get a few more details. that looks so cycled for sure lol/neat.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
aquabiomics tested caribsea wet pack sand and said he found no/insignificant filter bac on it. the supporting bac seem to have come from somewhere else

if 100% of the rock was bone dry when bought that's amazing setup there. fish don't swim and eat and anemones don't open daily in uncycled tanks, uncycled tanks crash after a few days feeding with cloudy water in backup.

we are tracing out something that has cycled that tank already.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can tell you one thing: adding bottle bac is a waste of time and money for this specific job. that reef is already cycled by some mechanism.

surely you didn't buy an unattached anemone, drop it in the water, and it happens over on that rock attached/
did you buy a rock that had an anemone attached to it already?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If those are Carib-Sea Life rocks. They are supposedly preloaded with spores or whatever they claim.

It is possible that those spores are what provided the vac for nitrification.

In addition, adding the nem (not really recommended, but if things stay stable it may be OK) also introduced bacteria to the aquarium. Nems do carry some nitrifying bacteria in them and possibly on the foot if some substrate was attached to it.

Just a thought and I have no idea lol.

OP
OP
A

abryant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uhm kind of embarrassed here lol definitely should’ve done more research idk why I added anemone I just did it because I got it for super super cheap but all the rock was dry when I bough it but two of the pieces I bought were sold as live rock from the store but the one was sealed in plastic but not wet it’s from Petco if you want to look online and see what I mean about there rock and I also got another piece of live rock from a different fish store but it was also dry but it was covered in coralline and was marked as live

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its ok, in fact this is a very very helpful thread in the overall scope of updated cycling science

See how ammonia control was not a factor here, even though common steps we take to ensure it weren't done?

so far, the only tracing for water bacteria I can find is the imagitarium water, that's oceanic water they strain out for large particles (but not bacteria, those are present)

that water acts like cycling bac, not as concentrated, but apparently quite functional.

truly, don't concern over cycling now, don't test for it further, don't buy things/ you are cycled because that tank handles daily feed and because you are past day ten of this combination on a cycling chart. any cycling chart shows ammonia control by day ten, and your pics confirm that. *if you aren't past day ten lol you're about to be/close enough lol

Your thread provides yet more proof that ammonia control fear has no basis in today's cycling, that's the given part/its fish disease we must consider.

that anemone wouldnt be happy if your tank wasn't cycled and if bad ammonia was building up from the fish food and fish waste added, but that's being processed by your surface area and overall water volume + low bioloading. your fish wasn't harmed, or he'd be acting harmed.

I expect the system would not have survived off regular synthetic water/ that ocean water was a lucky variable and known import of bacteria.

Your thread also adds support to the incorrect notion that water doesn't carry cycling bacteria, it sure does and we've proved that in other threads besides this one. Overall this thread contributes incrementally to updated reef tank cycling science.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spend all day long ensuring folks who took 99% more steps to protect ammonia than you did that their tanks are not lacking ammonia control. they never believe me lol

the proof is always in the full tank shot. uncycled reefs are dead fish, closed corals, cloudy water, the polar opposite of that above.

the fish and anemone also brought in millions of cells of cycling bac literally stuck to them.

the next time (10 mins from now) we see a post where someone used 2 different types of bottle bac, they're on day 20 claiming no ammonia control, I will think back to this thread and smile as they refuse to believe their tank is controlling ammonia just fine

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh, you have an anemone in there already? That should really go back to the store- anemones need stable, mature tanks to do well. As a general rule of thumb, you don't want to put one in a tank that's less than a year old. The clownfish will be fine without it.

Cute little guy. Hope he does well. Do you plan to get another and wind up with a pair?

OP
OP
A

abryant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, you have an anemone in there already? That should really go back to the store- anemones need stable, mature tanks to do well. As a general rule of thumb, you don't want to put one in a tank that's less than a year old. The clownfish will be fine without it.

Cute little guy. Hope he does well. Do you plan to get another and wind up with a pair?
…. Well I did have a pair at first and a royal gramma I know I shouldn’t have done that now but at the time I didn’t know but I lost all but one clown and the clown did suffer for a couple days I thought he was gonna die but he pushed through it and is great now (day 11) but I’ve had my anemone for 10 days and to be honest they don’t look good at all they’re small and not as colorful as they should be but I think they’re slowly getting better but I don’t want to get rid of them I’m hoping they make it but yes I do plan to get another clown to pair it but I am gonna wait probably another week or so just Bec I’m nervous and want to make sure my water is all good

OP
OP
A

abryant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its ok, in fact this is a very very helpful thread in the overall scope of updated cycling science

See how ammonia control was not a factor here, even though common steps we take to ensure it weren't done?

so far, the only tracing for water bacteria I can find is the imagitarium water, that's oceanic water they strain out for large particles (but not bacteria, those are present)

that water acts like cycling bac, not as concentrated, but apparently quite functional.

truly, don't concern over cycling now, don't test for it further, don't buy things/ you are cycled because that tank handles daily feed and because you are past day ten of this combination on a cycling chart. any cycling chart shows ammonia control by day ten, and your pics confirm that. *if you aren't past day ten lol you're about to be/close enough lol

Your thread provides yet more proof that ammonia control fear has no basis in today's cycling, that's the given part/its fish disease we must consider.

that anemone wouldnt be happy if your tank wasn't cycled and if bad ammonia was building up from the fish food and fish waste added, but that's being processed by your surface area and overall water volume + low bioloading. your fish wasn't harmed, or he'd be acting harmed.

I expect the system would not have survived off regular synthetic water/ that ocean water was a lucky variable and known import of bacteria.

Your thread also adds support to the incorrect notion that water doesn't carry cycling bacteria, it sure does and we've proved that in other threads besides this one. Overall this thread contributes incrementally to updated reef tank cycling science.
I spend all day long ensuring folks who took 99% more steps to protect ammonia than you did that their tanks are not lacking ammonia control. they never believe me lol

the proof is always in the full tank shot. uncycled reefs are dead fish, closed corals, cloudy water, the polar opposite of that above.

the fish and anemone also brought in millions of cells of cycling bac literally stuck to them.

the next time (10 mins from now) we see a post where someone used 2 different types of bottle bac, they're on day 20 claiming no ammonia control, I will think back to this thread and smile as they refuse to believe their tank is controlling ammonia just fine
So I’ve been testing my water and my ammonia doesn’t get down to 0 after 24 hours of feeding but slowly I can see that it is getting lower and lower day after day

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
still its ok after this much time going by, be feeding lightly for the next few days is all I'd recommend. no course of additives, reactive purchases etc we'd hold course on a tank looking that good.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the fish isn't all that much bioload, the anemone is zero bioload, its the daily fish food that tests the system and also feeds that bacteria you're building up, no reinforcement needed only cruise control lightly fed as is for the next week and you'll be fine. nice atypical cycle, handy to use in future examples of bacteria ability vs inability.

OP
OP
A

abryant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the fish isn't all that much bioload, the anemone is zero bioload, its the daily fish food that tests the system and also feeds that bacteria you're building up, no reinforcement needed only cruise control lightly fed as is for the next week and you'll be fine. nice atypical cycle, handy to use in future examples of bacteria ability vs inability.
So I noticed that there’s some shrimp that are not getting eaten and they just sit at the bottom of the tank in the sand is that bad for my tank since they’re not getting eaten? I use mysis shrimp frozen cubes I cut them in half and they mostly get eaten but some don’t so I was just wondering if that was bad that they kind of just sit down there

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 165 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.8%
Back