How to get Stand in house

chuckfu5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys,

Posting this here because it’s in the large aquarium group and I figured you guys would have the most knowledge.

I’ve got a 135 cube that the stand is 36 x 36 x 36. Problem is my front and rear door openings are only 36. Any ideas on how to get this beast into the house?

1475de18e54747f1b3e6dcf7e092ac10.jpg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Demolish house.
2. Build huge fish tank
3. Rebuild house
4.????
5. Profit!!

Kidding aside, how good are you at carpentry? You'll most likly have to remove the door and the door trim to get it in.

xraymatt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once upon a time we had the same exact tank. We had to bring it in through the sliding door. The sliding part had to be completely removed and it will fit. Good luck!

OP
OP
chuckfu5

chuckfu5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t take the front door frame down.

The rear is French doors with the one side non opening.

I’ve checked windows and I have one in the kitchen that would work but I have the same issue. The one side is a slider and removeable but the other doesn’t.
5261a27288c18edb6d86049130ef28f9.jpg

Front door

4add1760c8d48da8c9dd2915ba51f2b0.jpg

Rear door

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A slider with a fixed pannel, the panel is easily removable. There is a "stop" on the fixed pannel that makes it "fixed". The stop is usually at top and bottom of the fixed pannel where the 2 doors meet.
If you know what you are looking for, you could potentially have both panels out of the hole in about 5 minutes

OP
OP
chuckfu5

chuckfu5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A slider with a fixed pannel, the panel is easily removable. There is a "stop" on the fixed pannel that makes it "fixed". The stop is usually at top and bottom of the fixed pannel where the 2 doors meet.
If you know what you are looking for, you could potentially have both panels out of the hole in about 5 minutes

It’s not a slider. It’s a French door top. The door with hinges opens to the inside. The other is stationary and in its own frame.

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s not a slider. It’s a French door top. The door with hinges opens to the inside. The other is stationary and in its own frame.
Same deal with french french doors where one is fixed. There is a "stop" holding the fixed pannel in place.

OP
OP
chuckfu5

chuckfu5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same deal with french french doors where one is fixed. There is a "stop" holding the fixed pannel in place.

Here is a door that is like ours.

Left door opens but the right side is stationary and almost looks as though it has a separate frame around it.
ffc8fd42916e99d4603c664b1869336c.jpg

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most likely, there is a single jamb, and the fixed pannel is held in with some type of stop. Onced the fixed panel is installed, then the active door can be hung.
If you look at your door closely, the fixed panel probably has a molding running around (probably) 3 sides. That molding can be removed, the fixed panel then can be removed, and voila..

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sent you a pm to try and get this sorted.. hate to have to leave the tank outside...

TinyChocobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the double door with one fixed - yeah - they generally install the frame, then the fixed door, then the swinging door.

I can't say I've seen one where the fixed door is permanent and cannot be removed. It just may not be obvious to you if you've not messed with one before.

Hopefully you'll get it sorted - do you have a garage or something you an put it in to at least get it inside in the meantime?

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That main entrance door is a PRE HUNG Unit.. it likely came with brick molding on the exterior.. Remove the interior trim.. Run a saw saw around the opening between the jamb and framing to cut all the screws , Wiggle the unit out.. Bring tank and reassemble....

but you can hire someone to do this.. I would charge about 560.00 about 5 hours labor...
Doors are one of the top things i do .. I own a home renovation company...

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Go for the French door. They remove faster and easier than the entire door frame. The door frame has to be trued after removal whereas the French door does not. Have a couple of dollies handy. They will be just that - HANDY

InkedReefLady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with the others who said remove the sliding glass door. We not only had to do that to get our 300 gallon in the house, we also had to remove the railing divider going from the dining room down to the lower (slab) living room. I gave our buddy the nod of approval to remove it. It was easy to fix after the stand got down there. :)

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with the others who said remove the sliding glass door. We not only had to do that to get our 300 gallon in the house, we also had to remove the railing divider going from the dining room down to the lower (slab) living room. I gave our buddy the nod of approval to remove it. It was easy to fix after the stand got down there. :)

This is Far from the Truth.Most are NOT Removable... Most Single opening Double doors , The non moving Door is Screwed in from the top down and wedged/glued.They do this to make them cheaper to make and look better. There is USUALLY No molding around the door panel itself. this makes it look more uniform and easier to install.
Next time your at a home supply or building supplier Check them out... I install doors on a Regular bases . There are a few exceptions..Custom built ,Some Custom order doors .
Sliding doors are easily removed thou.

OP
OP
chuckfu5

chuckfu5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have decided to cut an inch off of the bottom of the stand in order to get it in the house. That would make the stand 35 and the opening around 36.

Does anyone see any issues with this idea?

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have decided to cut an inch off of the bottom of the stand in order to get it in the house. That would make the stand 35 and the opening around 36.

Does anyone see any issues with this idea?
If the stand is build with normal Cabinet techniques this should be of no issue

If you post pics of the stand I may be able to give you more insight into it..

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 35 46.7%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 16 21.3%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 18 24.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.0%
Back