OP
GHsaltie

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was towards the front. It seemed to be attached to the liver and the paler green-tinged section of the intestines.

OP
OP
GHsaltie

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did look in the gills, they looked normal if not a bit red.

Zoaeasy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would throw it in a baggie and put the bag in a bowl of ice water in the fridge. All the better if you wrap it in a cheesecloth first.
Haha thats exactly how we preserve amputated digits so they can be reattached (humans)

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the scientific genus for this fish? I don't have access to my photos, but I have some references I can go poke around in.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the scientific genus for this fish? I don't have access to my photos, but I have some references I can go poke around in.

zebrasoma ? Not sure of genuses and what-not but these are zebrasoma tangs.

OP
OP
GHsaltie

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just double checked the gills, looks normal as far as I can tell just a bit on the red side. I couldn't really distinguish the actual filaments, sounds silly I know. I saw something that kind of looked like the filaments, and it was a bit pale compared to everything else, but it was very flattened to the inside, no matter how much I pried the gill open.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if it could be some sort of viral hemorrhagic septicemia.

Good guess; some viruses can affect internal organs. Lymphocystis nodules, for example, will sometimes grow over important organs.

Zebrasoma flavescens

alanbetiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a BS in Zoology and DVM for the past 10 years.
Gross dissection won't give you a lot of information.
Typically would need a skin scrape, gill scrape and fecal exam to check for parasites. Anything else you'd need a microscopic exam and yeah freezing tissue is not ideal since the water crystal formation can disrupt cell integrity.
With the frayed fins it either got attacked because it was sick or could be what allowed a parasite to overtake the system from the stress. Don't know the chicken or the egg.
If you ever really want a true necropsy any vet can send off the entire body to Idexx or ANTECH lab. All vets have access to those services. It can be pricey though.
My 2 cents is 9 times out of 10 fish deaths in aquaria are parasitic.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!welcome! You are a good resource to have around!

I'm running across a lot of resources talking about yellow tangs and streaks, is this a common issue for these guys? I know NOTHING about tangs.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alan, what do you think about the dark organs? I've never seen them look like this and I've cut into a lot of fish over the years. The class I took on necropsies never showed this as a common issue either and this guy was opened pretty quickly after death.

At first I was thinking blood, but there doesn't seem to be any free blood in the cavity. It reminds me of necrosis. Those organs are too dark for it not to be a related finding.

Necropsies are not something to lead to a definitive diagnosis, but they give clues along with the external findings, behaviors, the environment, timelines etc etc. They are all pieces to a puzzle. Without the ability to perform cultures and analyze blood samples, it's pretty much all we have to solve our own problems and to choose appropriate interventions. I've been lucky over the years in that I had someone to run these tests for me, but the first necropsies I had sent out about 18 years ago was $150 dollars, so they are out of reach of many hobbyists. I have no idea of the cost today and if you didn't have someone local, often times there's the extra cost of overnight shipping.

Last edited:

alanbetiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I won't be an amazing help. Probably extremely little help actually. Sorry.
I agree there appears to be damage but I suspect more secondary to the issue then the primary problem. I would expect a parasite but without samples would not be able to definitively diagnosis.
Someone from the local Dallas club had a question about a obvious external parasite and I called around and finally spoke with a fish only veterinarian in New York. His personal marine fish would undergo copper treatment and praziquantel in two separate quarantine tanks. They would start in one tank then once a skin scrape, scale examination and fill scrape was negative move to the next tank. Again pass negative testing before going into his display. He still had entire tank deaths from parasites.
So much of this hobby is a psuedoscience with out true reproducible diagnostics, testing, and treatments. Most of the information is hearsay and since it worked for someone who had a bunch of tanks it must be true. The only true veterinary textbook I could find years ago was from 1980 and still said using saltwater from the ocean was a good idea for water changes.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's after midnight here, so I'll have to continue this in the morning, but anyone still reading/researching, look into yellow tangs and red streaks and see what treatments were helpful. I'll look into my journals tomorrow and then when I get home next week, I'll bust out my books to see what other puzzle pieces we can find.

Back