How to Quarantine Coral and Inverts

mic209

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've asked this before and nobody could answer with proof, but how do we know that something like bayer doesn't kill tomonts? And not resetting the clock when adding new corals seems risky, you're taking the chance of adding a theront into your display.

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've asked this before and nobody could answer with proof, but how do we know that something like bayer doesn't kill tomonts?
I can't offer you proof either. The problem is that it's likely that coral dips like bayer will not be able to penetrate the shell of the cyst as even copper cannot do that. If we aren't sure about it, then the safest route is to err on the side of caution.
And not resetting the clock when adding new corals seems risky, you're taking the chance of adding a theront into your display.
It would be I suppose, though a few simple precautions will save you from that risk. Like rinsing the coral with a cup of water that is meant to be discarded after before putting the coral in the display. Of course, there is nothing wrong with buying corals and inverts in batches and not adding anything new to them until the full 76 days is up... that's very safe :)

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
76 days seems like a eternity :p

It does for sure.. but if you think about it this way it's a little better: Think of removing all your fish from the display for 76 days while treating the fish vs. leaving a few snails and corals in a QT for 76 days while your fish are happy and healthy. Not too bad that way right? ;)

Gools

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would the tank transfer method done for fish not work the same for corals? Making it able to add to display sooner?

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would the tank transfer method done for fish not work the same for corals? Making it able to add to display sooner?

No it wouldn't. TTM works because ich only stays on the fish for a few days. It drops off the body and is left behind when the fish is transferred to a new tank. Ich can stay on a hard surface for up to 72 days before hatching so we are leaving them in the QT long enough to be sure that happened and leave the free swimmers behind when we remove the coral. Does that help?

OP
OP
melypr1985

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can ich attach itself to starfish?

No they can't. A quick rinse after acclimation would be sufficient for a starfish. Be sure to throw away the water used for acclimation and rinse afterwards.

cb684

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very good article!
I would add that from the standpoint of Ich or other fish parasites adding new coral does not reset the clock because there is no fish to complete the cycle. But from the standpoint of coral parasites, it would reset the clock. Every time you add a new coral one could be introducing red bugs eggs, black bugs eggs, and others. Even after dipping.

Leaellynasaura

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This convinced me to set one up. Is it important to have a substrate to make any inverts happy? How large does a piece of live rock need to be to have any value in putting it into the tank?

ReeferNoob77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
going along the same lines as the starfish, would urchins be safe to acclimate rinse and display?

mic209

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very good article!
I would add that from the standpoint of Ich or other fish parasites adding new coral does not reset the clock because there is no fish to complete the cycle. But from the standpoint of coral parasites, it would reset the clock. Every time you add a new coral one could be introducing red bugs eggs, black bugs eggs, and others. Even after dipping.

I like to think that it does reset the clock because you risk the chance of transferring theronts that are in the water column that came from a cyst that was on newly added coral. Problem is, you don't know when those cysts hatch in the 76 days.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back