HVAC Replacement

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to replace my HVAC system outside and inside and everything in between. Anyone know what a job like this should cost (parts/labor)? Probably go with Lennox 3 ton 95% unit.

Dflo's reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't go with Lennox they are garbage. I've been in the trade for 15 years and all they are is problems.

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for your full job you are looking at around $6k
Seems a little low, don't you think? Especially if he has to replace the air handler and ducting as well? (I'm assuming when he says "everything," he means EVERYTHING :) )

Dflo's reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah your right I forgot that he said he needs duct work. But that's something an honest professional should inspect and not try to sell something that doesn't need to be replaced.

OP
OP
ReeferBob

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need the inside unit (acoil, furnace), outside unit and line set for 2 complete systems. 1 Line set involves cutting 8 feet of ceiling and patching when done (included in quote), other will be run on the side of the house. Also need the same for my smaller attic system. Both are gas. Both will be 16 SEER. One is 2 ton lowest Lennox line 85%, the other is 3 ton mid-level lennox 95%. Low comes with 5 years parts and labor, mid comes with 12 years. All vertical duct work will be replaced, horizontal left in place. 5 year 0% financing too on entire amount if I want.

I already got the quote and am thinking about it. Just looking for a sanity check. I'll disclose the quote once I get a few ballparks!

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one can truly give you a quote without seeing the detail that is needed. It's like asking what my used car is worth without seeing it. With that said, in the area of the country I live (NY metropolitan area), I'd guess in the 15K - 20K range.

OP
OP
ReeferBob

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one can truly give you a quote without seeing the detail that is needed. It's like asking what my used car is worth without seeing it. With that said, in the area of the country I live (NY metropolitan area), I'd guess in the 15K - 20K range.

Thanks! Not looking for a quote, just educated guesses and sanity checks.

OP
OP
ReeferBob

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't go with Lennox they are garbage. I've been in the trade for 15 years and all they are is problems.

I have seen this anecdotal evidence for all major brands. So not sure what to believe. Consumer reports rates all of these the same and/or stopped reporting on any of them saying that the products are only as good as the installation. Which makes sense.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I had a complete system installed, from the Trane heat pump outside, air handler, and ducting installed about 10 years ago and it was $10k.
I believe it was a 2 ton system, so if you are looking for larger, I would imagine it could be nearly double.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just for comparison sake, two days ago I had a 3½ ton Trane 17 Seer installed. Outside unit and air handler. No duct work needed, but had to replace the copper line with a larger size, a new breaker box by the unit and an additional return installed - plus 2 boxes of "free" filters! Ha! 10 year parts and labor warranty. $10k even. Man, does this thing pump out some cold air!

OP
OP
ReeferBob

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all. My quote is for $15,700 for 2 complete systems (2 ton and 3.5 ton lennox mid-range models). That includes about $1000 in rebates so really the quote is $16,700. I am getting more quotes but I appreciate the sanity check!

Dflo's reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get several quotes and you are right as far as the equipment goes, (it's only as good as the installation). I've installed a lot on the lower end equipment and never have cal backs.

OP
OP
ReeferBob

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I talked with the sales guy last night and got him to upgrade the larger unit to the next model up (15.5 to almost 18 SEER - ~$2k more) and also reduce the price to around $15k even. I agreed to it all and they install both systems on Wednesday. I think for this area, $7500 each is a pretty good price for 2 complete Lennox systems. This company is the largest private partner to Lennox and have a warehouse full of equipment and a bunch of techs sitting around waiting for everyone to scramble for service when they start their A/C in a few weeks and it doesn't work.

OP
OP
ReeferBob

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys are here installing the new systems. Old system is totally gone ripped out. Amazing how poorly houses are designed with no thought at all that the HVAC will need to be replaced one day. What a PITA it is going to be for them to run the new lines. This house was built in 2000 you'd think they would have thought about this.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just like when an electrical engineer hands prints out not thinking for one second about the people doing the work haha
(I'm supposed to fit this pipe here??? )

OP
OP
ReeferBob

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey the guy just told me they need to cut a 12" x 12" hole in the ceiling in the shower. They want to use a plastic access panel patch to cover it once done. Is this a concern? The other option is to have a drywall guy come out and patch it but that would be pricey since no one will come out for a small job. I am thinking like $200 at least. What if I caulked the plastic access panel?

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 177 72.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.9%
Back