I’m needing some help

Ericsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I’m new here but I’ve been keeping a reef for a year now and everything has been going great except for the fact that my ph stays low and my alkalinity is through the roof. I’m not sure what’s causing my dkh to keep climbing. I do a 25% water change every other week. I’m not dosing A&B because my calcium stays pretty steady at 420 ppm or so but I do add seachem reef complete when calcium gets low and seachem reef buffer to raise my ph. I tested dkh this morning and it took me 30 drops to get the color to change from blue to yellow with the api test. If anyone wants to help me it would be greatly appreciated! My name is Eric and I live in the eastern panhandle of West Virginia. Thanks in advance!

Reeferjunkie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to r2r. Salferts or red sea for testers
star-wars-baby-yoda.gif

Upvote 1

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I’m new here but I’ve been keeping a reef for a year now and everything has been going great except for the fact that my ph stays low and my alkalinity is through the roof. I’m not sure what’s causing my dkh to keep climbing. I do a 25% water change every other week. I’m not dosing A&B because my calcium stays pretty steady at 420 ppm or so but I do add seachem reef complete when calcium gets low and seachem reef buffer to raise my ph. I tested dkh this morning and it took me 30 drops to get the color to change from blue to yellow with the api test. If anyone wants to help me it would be greatly appreciated! My name is Eric and I live in the eastern panhandle of West Virginia. Thanks in advance!

Welcome! Glad you joined. Agree with earlier post #5, get second opinion test results from LFS. When we had a problem, we even did third opinion using 2nd LFS just to make sure where we were at because our numbers (and test 2 results) were unusual.

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

Upvote 0

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! I would suggest to stop dosing the items you are using. PH can be boosted with CO2 scrubbing media which does not add any additives. It's very simple and can be attached to a protein skimmer if you have one.
@Fred2482 Can you kindly point to that product at BRS or elsewhere? Thank you!

Upvote 0

Fred2482

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Fred2482 Can you kindly point to that product at BRS or elsewhere? Thank you!

Upvote 0

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

DIY scrubber can be made for super cheap with just a voss water bottle (i like that they are glass) and some hard airline tubing. Just put filter floss (polyfil) at the bottom if you are recirculating air from a protein skimmer as the actual soda lime shouldnt get wet, a lot of very humid air is pulled in this way but does get the most out of your co2 media

Upvote 0

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DIY scrubber can be made for super cheap with just a voss water bottle (i like that they are glass) and some hard airline tubing. Just put filter floss (polyfil) at the bottom if you are recirculating air from a protein skimmer as the actual soda lime shouldnt get wet, a lot of very humid air is pulled in this way but does get the most out of your co2 media
Can you kindly take a picture of yours?

Upvote 0

Jimbhoy13

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and the salty world Eric. API not accurate kits as been said. Salifert, Hanna or Red Sea are much better. Also you could get a comparison test done at LFS. Lots of knowledgeable and helpful people here who will support and advise you when needed.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
With ph, one thing I have learned over the last couple of decades especially when persons chase PH, Low is ok as long as it is Steady which is part of stability. Stable numbers will win in most cases.
Reef Buffer is an alternative and not a solution. Assure youre not getting false readings.
One way to confirm is to take a water sample to a trusted LFS that does NOT use API kits and see what readings they come up with and to compare with yours.
Salifert and Hanna kits are reliable ones

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Upvote 0
Back