I’m needing some help

Ericsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I’m new here but I’ve been keeping a reef for a year now and everything has been going great except for the fact that my ph stays low and my alkalinity is through the roof. I’m not sure what’s causing my dkh to keep climbing. I do a 25% water change every other week. I’m not dosing A&B because my calcium stays pretty steady at 420 ppm or so but I do add seachem reef complete when calcium gets low and seachem reef buffer to raise my ph. I tested dkh this morning and it took me 30 drops to get the color to change from blue to yellow with the api test. If anyone wants to help me it would be greatly appreciated! My name is Eric and I live in the eastern panhandle of West Virginia. Thanks in advance!

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you kindly take a picture of yours?
threw mine out as i stopped using a media reactor so i repurposed that for CO2 media, basically it was just 2 holes cut in the lid with a dremmel bit. The inlet is longer and goes to the bottom of the bottle. The outlet is just a small piece just enough to get into the bottle, and super glue or silicone the hard tubing in place (i have a lot sitting around from my doser). Then you place some polyfill in the bottom with soda lime on top and close it up.
But that BRS unit is pretty darn cheap I would maybe go that route if you dont have all the stuff just lying around like I did

Upvote 0

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

2F3342E2-0914-4C7D-8EE9-4A3AD724BC08.gif

Upvote 0

Tray21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
robin williams hello GIF

I just did a check the other day as I still have some API tests laying around and the difference between my hanna alk checker and the api alk test was astounding. API said I was at 15 DKH while the hanna had me sitting at 7.9 DKH. As others have stated already, take to a LFS that does not use API tests and have them test for you. Investing in good quality tests is a good move to make. Brs made a couple videos about different brand tests that you may want to check out.

Upvote 0

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 69 70.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back