Hammer coral help needed

ReefGirl50

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All! I’m fairly new to the reef/fish hobby thanks to fostering my daughter’s two clown fish. I have a 32.5G Fluval Flex saltwater tank and have just started adding corals. The Hammer Coral was placed in one of the pre-drilled holes on my live rock, but I’m afraid it might be the wrong spot for him. He’s been seemingly happy for the 2 weeks I’ve had him, but today I noticed him reaching out sweeper tentacles onto the jut-out of rock on his right. Will he get damaged from the rock? Should I move him forward and glue him in the open area?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide this Newbie!

IMG_4287.jpeg IMG_4288.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4286.mov
    27.6 MB

Kristopher Conlin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

With how close the hammer and torch are I'm wondering if they are stinging each other. The hammer seems to be putting sweepers on that direction in the video.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
ReefGirl50

ReefGirl50

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

With how close the hammer and torch are I'm wondering if they are stinging each other. The hammer seems to be putting sweepers on that direction in the video.
Thanks for the tip! They haven’t been close enough to touch yet (that I know of), but maybe I should look at relocating the Hammer to the other side.

Upvote 0

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to reef2reef.

Unfortunately, I cannot see the video, but just like everyone else is saying, it's highly possible that the torch and the hammer are stinging each other. I would move them far away from each other, because the torches tentacles can get pretty long.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi All! I’m fairly new to the reef/fish hobby thanks to fostering my daughter’s two clown fish. I have a 32.5G Fluval Flex saltwater tank and have just started adding corals. The Hammer Coral was placed in one of the pre-drilled holes on my live rock, but I’m afraid it might be the wrong spot for him. He’s been seemingly happy for the 2 weeks I’ve had him, but today I noticed him reaching out sweeper tentacles onto the jut-out of rock on his right. Will he get damaged from the rock? Should I move him forward and glue him in the open area?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide this Newbie!

IMG_4287.jpeg IMG_4288.jpeg
Pics are quite dark. I am doubtful on stinging as I have mine even closer and some things required. . .
Moderate water flow but not so strong that the tentacles and polyps are bent over the skeleton. They need calcium for skeletal health - should not be lower than 390 and assure light not too bright that emit their inner algae known as zooxanthellae which many mistaken for poop. Lower third of tank is a perfect location although they are not too picky with location. Torch can go to upper half of tank

660g 3.30d.jpg

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Upvote 0

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, try putting the hammer near the bottom and with fairly gentle flow. My frogspawn and hammers prefer that by far. My torches on the other hand are high up in much stronger flow and light. Here’s my placement
1709605939717.png

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 56.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.7%
Back