Newbie reefer Low Tech Set Up

Chreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone !
Just wanted to use this thread to share my newbie experience with you all. I started cycling my 29 gal (30x12x18in) tank back in January of 2024. Cycled with Fritz turbo start and Dr. Tim’s ammonia for about 6 weeks.

When ammonia and nitrite were consumed within a 24 hour period I did a large water change about 50% (10gal) to lower my nitrates.

Added a pair of clowns in Feb 2024 but one did not do to well so I haven’t added another fish since. Ever since then i started soaking my pellets and mysis in garlic before feeding it to the black clown and he’s been doing well.

just last week I added some corals:

zoanthids
Kenya tree
Gonipora
Hammer
Green cabbage leather

They seem to be doing well. I am water changing 5 gal weekly with water from my LFS. I am target feeding the Gonipora with reef roids about 2x a week.

Equipment:
29 gal standard tank
Filter: TIDAL 55
Power Head: hyger mini
Lighting: AI prime 16HD flex mount 10in above water
Rock: Carib sea life rock 20lb and 2lb Marco rock
Sand: Carib sea 20lb
Coral Dip: 2 little fishies

No dosing or ATO at this time strict weekly water changes about 20% water volume for me which is 5 gal.

Any advice or input will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0407.mov
    33.6 MB

Stang67

KEEP CALM AND REEF ON
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the reef. I also started with a 29g. Simple hob filter.
Couple bits of advice. Get a cheap Rodi maker. I started with the Aquatic life ro Buddie it worked just fine for the amount of water for that sized tank. Also get a Ato. The cheap ones , 50$ or so, off amazon work just fine with a 5g bucket. Those two things will make life a bit easier. I would also recommend some Salifert test kits. At least the nitrate and phosphate to start with.

strich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome and excited to see it grow! A few thoughts:
  • If no ATO, then you may be slowly increasing your salinity as you exaporate water and you replace it with mixed salt water. So watch out for that.
  • I think some macroalgae is always a good thing, as it helps create biodiversity, a sink for phosphates and nitrates, out competes pest algae, and oxygenates the water. Maybe get some Caulerpa (there are lots of nice looking ones IMO) to plant. Just be aware it is a thing you need to trim from time to time - Some people don't like the maintenance.

OP
OP
Chreefer

Chreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome and excited to see it grow! A few thoughts:
  • If no ATO, then you may be slowly increasing your salinity as you exaporate water and you replace it with mixed salt water. So watch out for that.
  • I think some macroalgae is always a good thing, as it helps create biodiversity, a sink for phosphates and nitrates, out competes pest algae, and oxygenates the water. Maybe get some Caulerpa (there are lots of nice looking ones IMO) to plant. Just be aware it is a thing you need to trim from time to time - Some people don't like the maintenance.
Copy that !
Couple bits of advice. Get a cheap Rodi maker. I started with the Aquatic life ro Buddie it worked just fine for the amount of water for that sized tank. Also get a Ato. The cheap ones , 50$ or so, off amazon work just fine with a 5g bucket. Those two things will make life a bit easier. I would also recommend some Salifert test kits. At least the nitrate and phosphate to start witth
Couple bits of advice. Get a cheap Rodi maker. I started with the Aquatic life ro Buddie it worked just fine for the amount of water for that sized tank. Also get a Ato. The cheap ones , 50$ or so, off amazon work just fine with a 5g bucket. Those two things will make life a bit easier. I would also recommend some Salifert test kits. At least the nitrate and phosphate to start with.Thankc
Couple bits of advice. Get a cheap Rodi maker. I started with the Aquatic life ro Buddie it worked just fine for the amount of water for that sized tank. Also get a Ato. The cheap ones , 50$ or so, off amazon work just fine with a 5g bucket. Those two things will make life a bit easier. I would also recommend some Salifert test kits. At least the nitrate and phosphate to start with.
thank you! Yea been topping off daily which is cool but going automated with the top offs sounds nice! Imma check it out I might order one tonight. Any recommendations ?

OP
OP
Chreefer

Chreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone just a
Hello everyone !
Just wanted to use this thread to share my newbie experience with you all. I started cycling my 29 gal (30x12x18in) tank back in January of 2024. Cycled with Fritz turbo start and Dr. Tim’s ammonia for about 6 weeks.

When ammonia and nitrite were consumed within a 24 hour period I did a large water change about 50% (10gal) to lower my nitrates.

Added a pair of clowns in Feb 2024 but one did not do to well so I haven’t added another fish since. Ever since then i started soaking my pellets and mysis in garlic before feeding it to the black clown and he’s been doing well.

just last week I added some corals:

zoanthids
Kenya tree
Gonipora
Hammer
Green cabbage leather

They seem to be doing well. I am water changing 5 gal weekly with water from my LFS. I am target feeding the Gonipora with reef roids about 2x a week.

Equipment:
29 gal standard tank
Filter: TIDAL 55
Power Head: hyger mini
Lighting: AI prime 16HD flex mount 10in above water
Rock: Carib sea life rock 20lb and 2lb Marco rock
Sand: Carib sea 20lb
Coral Dip: 2 little fishies

No dosing or ATO at this time strict weekly water changes about 20% water volume for me which is 5 gal.

Any advice or input will be greatly appreciated.
Hi everyone ! Just wanted to share with you guys some new corals I picked up. This is my first Acan, I was wondering if he looks healthy? The video was from yesterday.
But yea some new Zoas and a scan for the tank picked up from a local seller. Lmk what you guys think:)

Attachments

• b74e053d0dbc48a2a93285c2b71483f7.mp4
    12.4 MB

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 104 80.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%

Back