Newbie Hammer Coral Help

ReefGirl50

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All!
I’m fairly new to the reef/fish hobby thanks to fostering my daughter’s two clown fish. I have a 32.5G Fluval Flex saltwater tank and have just started adding corals. The Hammer was placed in one of the pre-drilled holes on my live rock, but I’m afraid it might be the wrong spot for him. Today I noticed him reaching out sweeper tentacles onto the jut-out of rock in his right. Will he get damaged from the rock? Should I move him forward and glue him in the open area?

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have for this newbie!
IMG_4287.jpeg
IMG_4288.jpeg

SudzFD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not see an issue. They change their shapes and tentacle sweep for many reasons. I’d leave it alone, often less is more with these delicate creatures.

What light are you running?

They like lighter flows which I would expect in that protected rock nook so that’s probably a good spot.

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sweeper polyps are nothing to worry about, some corals are more territorial than others.

I’ll give some advice though, to assure good health on all corals you must understand alk,mag and calc. Learn how fast your corals absorb these elements and commit to a level you want to keep them at

If something ever look off on them do not hesitate to post, I’m sure someone will help

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 107 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back