Struggling Newbie

juanitasenorita04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

My 13 year old son has had his saltwater tank for 1.5 years. I finally let him get corral for it. I want to make sure I have lighting correct for the fish and coral. We have the Fluval Sea Flex 32 Saltwater tank. Please be kind as we are new to all this and trying we are just struggling with the lighting. I have a pictures attached hoping it helps. Thanks in advance!

IMG_7221.jpeg IMG_7222.jpeg

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and welcome! it looks like that tank kit comes with the Fluval Aquasky 2.0 LED Aquarium Lighting, 12 Watts. This light is simply not sufficient to support the health and growth of most corals. Can I ask why the water level in your tank is so low?

OP
OP
juanitasenorita04

juanitasenorita04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi and welcome! it looks like that tank kit comes with the Fluval Aquasky 2.0 LED Aquarium Lighting, 12 Watts. This light is simply not sufficient to support the health and growth of most corals. Can I ask why the water level in your tank is so low?

Thank you for helping and we are open to any advice.
We got the saltwater tank so it came with the Full spectrum Marine 3.0 LED, 21 watts.
The water level is low as we got snowed in as we added the coral and had an insane amount of snow recently here. We just got more RO and saltwater from the store but now we are trying to decide how to add which water without altering the salinity too much to kill the coral if that makes sense.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Measure the salinity now, and let us know what it is. The salinity will likely be very high because the water was allowed to evaporate. It’s very important that you top off the evaporation daily to prevent salinity swings, which can kill corals and fish

OP
OP
juanitasenorita04

juanitasenorita04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Measure the salinity now, and let us know what it is. The salinity will likely be very high because the water was allowed to evaporate. It’s very important that you top off the evaporation daily to prevent salinity swings, which can kill corals and fish
You are correct the salinity is high 1.040. So I should add a little RO, let it sit and test it again in 15 minutes until the salinity is correct?

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are correct the salinity is high 1.040. So I should add a little RO, let it sit and test it again in 15 minutes until the salinity is correct?
that would be a good idea, try to lower the salinity to 1.025

OP
OP
juanitasenorita04

juanitasenorita04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that would be a good idea, try to lower the salinity to 1.025
Thank you. How much RO should I add at a time? Also what is the brown algae looking stuff that’s new. I just want to make sure we have a clean looking and most importantly healthy tank. So I appreciate all the help.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, if salinity is that high, you need to remove saltwater and replace with rodi. Or add lower salinity salt water to bring your overall number down to 1.026.

Take out 8 full cups of saltwater then fill up with rodi and measure salinity. Normal evaporation does not change the salinity number typically so not sure why yours is so high.

OP
OP
juanitasenorita04

juanitasenorita04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, if salinity is that high, you need to remove saltwater and replace with rodi. Or add lower salinity salt water to bring your overall number down to 1.026.

Take out 8 full cups of saltwater then fill up with rodi and measure salinity. Normal evaporation does not change the salinity number typically so not sure why yours is so high.
I also want to try and recalibrate the refractometer what is the best solution? I know there are different kinds on the market but I want to make sure I get the best kind

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also want to try and recalibrate the refractometer what is the best solution? I know there are different kinds on the market but I want to make sure I get the best kind
Well you can have your LFS confirm your reading but I use a digital Milwaukee instrument refractometer because my eyes are old.

LandLockedJones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thing, don’t worry. It can be fixed haha.

That is pretty high, so emptying and refilling with the correct salinity would be the best move. But yes you can just add the rodi water to the system.

Your corals may not like a fast change though so expect them to look unhappy. And if you do it fast, any fish inside may not like it either. Nothing in the ocean likes sudden changes.

So, add a bit at a time, and come back and check like you said. You can check in 15 minutes, but I would not add more water for like an hour or so you dont need to rush back to it.

Since you said you had some new saltwater. If it’s still not been used, you can lower the salinity of that and do your water change. Which will lower the salinity in the tank a bit more gradually.

Personally I would just add the rodi slowly and try to remember to top off the tank from now on. Once a day is usually okay. Later you can add an ATO (automatic top off). There are some good low cost options from a brand called reef breeders. But they may not be the best quality on the market.

On the system I just set up without an ato I drew a mark with an expo marker on the front and side glass to know where to fill up. As long as you keep the tank at that mark. Salinity should theoretically remain stable.ish..

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the water level that low, it may effect the return pump and the heater. Make sure your heater is all the way in the water. Some heaters are meant to be totally submerged.

With a tank that size, and a closed lid, I am surprised you had that much evaporation. I have a Flex 15, and i get almost zero evaporation.

How long since you topped it off?

LandLockedJones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the one from bulk reef supply. But check the manual of the refractometer if you still have it. It may have a specific recommendation for that unit. If not, any of them will probably work.

anglefishlover

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your RO/DI water should register 0. Recalibrate to that. Best thing you can do with a tank like this IMO is make your own RO water at home and if you are religious about a 10%/week or 35%/month water change u will have a lot of sucess. Keep your salinity in line, dont let you tank get to cold or hot. If you can do this you will have a lot of success keeping a great deal of fish, soft corals, and inverts. If you cant do these things its going to be be frustrating and only the toughest critters will be able to survive.

LandLockedJones

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but they do need to be calibrated pretty regularly. I calibrate mine every time before I use it. It may be overkill but often I find it a point or two off even the same day.

OP
OP
juanitasenorita04

juanitasenorita04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well you can have your LFS confirm your reading but I use a digital Milwaukee instrument refractometer because my eyes are old.

MA887 Digital Seawater Refractometer - Milwaukee that one? If that’s easier to read and accurate then maybe I should get that instead.​

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 51 29.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 21.1%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 20 11.4%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 60 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back