I’m shocked… Dottyback died.. were these the culprit?

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am shocked. I purchased a small orchid dottyback about 3 weeks ago. Put him in my 5.5 G QT tank. Medicated the tank for the first week and a half and have observed him since.
He always looked completely fine. Ate a lot.
One mishap was when he got scared and jumped into the hang on back filter (where the water flows out).
I was looking all over for him, and I turned the filter back on just in case and sure enough he came back out. He was very stressed and he needed to catch his breathe especially since he may have been out of the water for a minute or so, so I immediately turned the filtration off. He bounced back the next day and was ok after that. He’s been ok for about 6 days. Until now..
I think this stress may have opened him up to being attacked by a parasite.
Today I saw him on his side looking AWFUL. He wasn’t swimming, and his sides looked bad. Here are some photos. But I saw these little white copepod looking things dancing around the tank. There are a lot.
I added a ceramic biomedical ball from my DT when cycling this QT, so I would’ve assumed these were pods since I have added 4 pod blends to my DT in the past, but there are sooo many, and I’m not really sure if they are pods. Since I feel he would’ve consumed them all or something if they were. Also I now see a ton, and the fish is on his deathbed… so I’m not sure anymore. I pulled a couple out into a bowl. I’ll try and get photos and videos with a magnified glass.
This is weird. Like I’m shocked….
Please lmk if you have any info.
5EB076B7-B5A8-4AF9-8012-7435CCAE3B27.jpeg

OP
OP
Cantusaurus

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t upload videos, but these things are jumping like crazy and I’ve never seen pods do that. Like jumping far!
This is disturbing. Like a couple are a bit darker and larger. i did add live Baby Brine shrimp when I first added the fish, but that was weeks ago, and I feel there’s no way they wouldn’t be eaten, and survive that long especially this many. And they are crazy active and white.
Sorry the pictures are really bad. It’s impossible to get a good
FF5D5DE2-FEB5-4551-B2DD-46309BC51ED7.jpeg

BB87E5B7-12F5-4F1D-A83E-2660027CDCA9.jpeg

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 75 35.0%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back