I had an accident with copper QT to DT

Thereeferboss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put a fish in my qt today and I accidently used the same net I'm my 250g Reef tank right after, should I be worried? The net was a little wet and I just started dosing my qt with copper yesterday. It just happened 30 minutes ago so I couldn't tell you if my invertebrates or corals are affected by it, the net got wet from my QT and I used it again in my DT. first time I use copper so that's why I made this mistake.

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you will have any issues unless you left the net in there for awhile. Probaly not enough on it to cause a problem. Do you run carbon?

OP
OP
Thereeferboss

Thereeferboss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carbon won't take copper out. If you are really concerned, salifert makes a copper test.

I just tested my dt for copper and is not showing anything. Test by seachem is not turning any color it just stays neutral white. Maybe I'm just worrying too much.

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are okay.

Last edited:

KoleTang

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend changing out your carbon for a fresh batch and maybe running a little extra. It sounds like you will be OK. Many trace element supplements add copper (Although in very SMALL amounts. 1 Microgram.)

In the future, only use Seachem's Cupramine for copper. It is much more gentle and doesn't "cling" to things as well.

Carbon won't take copper out.

Yes it will.

I just tested my dt for copper and is not showing anything. Test by seachem is not turning any color it just stays neutral white. Maybe I'm just worrying too much.

Copper tests are hard to read. Try holding it with your back to the sun, but have your hand's shadow slightly over the test vial.

I think you are okay. Cupermine by seachem removes copper.

Cupramine is a copper medication. You are thinking of Cuprisorb, which removes copper. But carbon will as well.

Last edited:

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes cuprisorb is what a meant sorry.

OP
OP
Thereeferboss

Thereeferboss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend changing out your carbon for a fresh batch and maybe running a little extra. It sounds like you will be OK. Many trace element supplements add copper (Although in very SMALL amounts. 1 Microgram.)

In the future, only use Seachem's Cupramine for copper. It is much more gentle and doesn't "cling" to things as well.

Yes it will.

Copper tests are hard to read. Try holding it with your back to the sun, but have your hand's shadow slightly over the test vial.

Cupramine is a copper medication. You are thinking of Cuprisorb, which removes copper. But carbon will as well.

Cupramine is what I use and I will do change carbon here in a bit. I thank everybody for the help.

jcdeng

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you are over reacting, the water trapped on your fish net may equal to 1 ml of water volume at most, now if you mix that into your 250g tank volume, I don't think anyone in the DT notice a thing.

OP
OP
Thereeferboss

Thereeferboss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you are over reacting, the water trapped on your fish net may equal to 1 ml of water volume at most, now if you mix that into your 250g tank volume, I don't think anyone in the DT notice a thing.

I could be over reacting but I just wanna be safe then sorry.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 30.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back