I Have a diy Calcium chloride choice to make?

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
diy ca source question? first three common names i found durning this topic search for a ca source are
1.Dow flake (CON no one localy carries it so online orders only)
2.DAMPRID ( PRO- available almost everywhere in my area)
3. Prestone driveway heat (pro available almost everywhere in my area

below is the sds for all three

My concern is all three have the same MAJOR ingredients with the only difference being the %'s of said ingredients. The prestone heat may provide a ph and strontium boost based on its ingredients im just gussing on that one.

dow flake and damp rid are idenitical but i can find no diy recipe for using damp rid, so anyone got a recipe for mixing this stuff.

dow flake seems to be a go to for most but tracking that stuff down in the south (no snow) if a B****, and paying dble once you add shipping is not cool at all.

whats odd is all the other ice melt products can be found in the south very odd that dow flake is not so easly located.

what to go with is my question? any pros or cons you may know about these three would be helpful. im leaning damp rid.

Capture1.JPG

Capture.JPG

1703772121389.png

Last edited:

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dowflake can sometimes be found at turf supply locations- tennis, golf, etc.

Pedalow is another kind that people use.

Personally, I would use any of those. I have used both dowflake and the prestone.

Whatever you decide, get a tight container with a nice lid. Any of these can get moisture, get gummy and weep out moist gel if left in the open too much.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Prestone driveway heat for a few years and I never had any issues with it, but it would leave a pink sludge in the bottom of my dosing container. It never seemed to hurt anything but it made me nervous so I eventually stopped using it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 108 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back