I have ick...REEF SAFE OPTIONS?!?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately there are no reef safe options to eradicate ich, however it can be managed.
Give this thread a read through

OP
OP
Malifry97

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately there are no reef safe options to eradicate ich, however it can be managed.
Give this thread a read through
What do you suggest i do with my corals to get rid of the ich. What should I do?!?

AngryMike2016

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to get RID of the ich, you have to remove every single fish from the tank, place them into quarantine, treat them there with some variety of copper, and do not put them back into your main tank until BOTH they are cured and 76 days have passed.

OP
OP
Malifry97

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to get RID of the ich, you have to remove every single fish from the tank, place them into quarantine, treat them there with some variety of copper, and do not put them back into your main tank until BOTH they are cured and 76 days have passed.
See I don’t know what I should do as I only have a 5 gallon QT. Not big enough for yellow tail, one green Chromis, two clowns and three PJ cardinals. What should I do

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you suggest i do with my corals to get rid of the ich. What should I do?!?
Ich doesnt affect coral, only fish. But ich can be carried into a tank by coral. The best most effective way is to put all fish I to a quarantine tank and run copper power at 2.0ppm and let the display tank sit without fish for 76 days.
Quarantine doesnt have to be that intimidating. A tank, with a hang on back filter, ammonia alert badge, and some PVCc pipe and a powerhead is all that's needed. A bottle of bio spira will keep ammonia levels low to non existant.
I qt with a 40 breeder and the exact setup above, I've quarantined 8 fish at a time and have never had ammonia issues with this configuration.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See I don’t know what I should do as I only have a 5 gallon QT. Not big enough for yellow tail, one green Chromis, two clowns and three PJ cardinals. What should I do
Check with your local petco and see if they're running the dollar per gallon sale on tanks

AngryMike2016

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would really, really recommend spending the time and little bit of money to do this right. I have a heavily stocked 90 gallon, with lots of big rocks that are glued together, so I have no realistic way to get my fish out. I am going the management route. Not pleasant, but it's unfortunately the best I can do.

OP
OP
Malifry97

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich doesnt affect coral, only fish. But ich can be carried into a tank by coral. The best most effective way is to put all fish I to a quarantine tank and run copper power at 2.0ppm and let the display tank sit without fish for 76 days.
Quarantine doesnt have to be that intimidating. A tank, with a hang on back filter, ammonia alert badge, and some PVCc pipe and a powerhead is all that's needed. A bottle of bio spira will keep ammonia levels low to non existant.
I qt with a 40 breeder and the exact setup above, I've quarantined 8 fish at a time and have never had ammonia issues with this configuration.
I know that corals cant get ich. But I don’t have a big enough qt to not treat whole tank. What can I do with corals while I treat DT

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that corals cant get ich. But I don’t have a big enough qt to not treat whole tank. What can I do with corals while I treat DT
Noooo noooo never treat the dt.you can leave everything (including inverts) in the display tank. The 76 day fishless period will starve out the ich

AngryMike2016

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For real though; go get a 29 gallon tank, a cheap stand, filter, heater, thermostat. There you go. Way easier and cheaper than dealing with removing coral (you'd have to get them into a tank that can sustain them) for the duration of the treatment, and many, many months after as getting copper out of your display is no simple feat.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What reef safe options for ich treatment have you guys used and had good results. Please link. I’m worried

I would suggest a bath with hibiclens - if you have ICH.. JK- most would recommend taking the fish out of your display tank - , treating with copper or chloroquine - and leaving your display fallow for 76 days - or so. Some would say feed the fish well and hope for the best.

BY THE WAY I WASN'T SUGGESTING A HIBICLENS BATH FOR THE FISH. THAT PART WAS A JOKE....

Last edited:

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 75 41.4%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 90 49.7%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 7 3.9%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 6 3.3%
Back