I just realized my reef is 44 years old this month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my fish like the water cooled LEDs. They think it is high tech. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are one of my favorites.

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The course is working Paul. Nice photos.

Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks? :)

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. I have always liked macro and want to get more into it

stellarestrepo90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woah, 44 years? That's amazing! That shows an immense amount of dedication. How have you stuck through it so long? It's sad to see how many people give up so quickly m

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Stellarestrepo90, first you have to get old, the rest is easy. :eek:

Still practicing. I am trying to get very clear, sharp pictures but so far I have not mastered that. I took these on Macro or Super Macro with the lens right on the glass.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Early this morning I got out my flashlight and looked at the tank before the lights came on. I normally get up way before the rest of the world does and nothing is open so I look at my tank. I usually will see things swimming or floating by but it is so fast that I rarely get a chance to see if it is a fish fry, amphipod or UST (underwater swimming thing). This morning was no different but I did see about a dozen bristle worms and they seemed to be having a party while doing the Macarana. Bristle worms don't bother me much but there are so many of them so I sucked them out and flushed them. (they hate that) They get kind of big and I just don't trust the big ones.
As I keep saying, I have way to many fish and they are growing. I was surprised to see my clingfish yesterday because that is one creature that you will rarely, if ever see. This type of clingfish is not the cool looking one with the stripes that swim all the time. This one is brown, about one and a half inches long and looks like an elongated flounder. It sucks itself to the rock and becomes part of it. I only see it if a worm floats near it, then it attacks like a great white shark before again sticking to a rock. Very few people will want such a creature but to me, that is my main thing. People go into LFSs and I see them drooling over colorful wrasses, tangs and angels like they are looking at Supermodels while I am looking under rocks for some indiscriminate organism that no one ever wants or even knows exists. (Of course if there were a Supermodel there, I would be all over her) I can always get tangs, wrasses and angels and I can see them in any tank, but to me, they are boring. Of course I used to like them along with moray eels, puffers, jacks and all that, but now I go for the un-ordinary.
Today I was happy to be asked to be interviewed on a small Long Island Radio Station in April. It won't be about fish, at least I don't think so. It is a station that caters to "Mature" people (which is a nice way to say old) They discuss finances, pensions, investments and how people spend their time. I have a lot of hobbies including fish so I guess I fit the bill. For the last 45 years I have been SCUBA diving mostly in the Long Island Sound and this station is also into environmental causes so I think we will also be discussing the state of the Sound. I know they also have some Veterans from Korea and Vietnam so we will also be discussing my time in Nam. It should be interesting and fun for me at least. Maybe I can even put some people to sleep.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since we were inexplicably on the subject of Jeeps, I remembered a Jeep story that happened to me. If you don't like Jeep stories, or me, go and watch Oprah. (I am not sure if I mentioned this story before)
It was 1969 and I as in Colorado in the Army and we were going to play war games. It was also snowing and in Colorado it can snow a foot an hour. Me and this Lieutenant were supposed to drive this Jeep across these plains near Pikes Peak and lay out COMMO wire from the back of the Jeep. We had a couple of miles of wire on this big reel and we start driving out in GaGa land in the dark. It is snowing up the Gazoo and the Gazoo is almost full. I was freezing, it was dark and Army Jeeps don't have tops on them and the steel helmet they give you is the opposite of insulation. So after an hour or so of laying out this wire we are lost. It was like cowboy and Indian movies out in the middle of nowhere. So the genius I am with says: he is going up ahead on foot to find high ground to see if he can see any lights or civilization. I am sitting in the Jeep, by myself covered up to my neck with snow holding an M-16 with no bullets because we were only playing games. I can't see anything but darkness and snow, then all of a sudden I hear, HOWEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLlllllll. Then I hear it again. I realized it was wolves, coyotes or Bigfoot. I didn't really care because my M-16 wasn't even good enough to shoot myself with. If I only had one bullet I could at least shoot the Bozo that brought me out to Hell.
Now they are getting closer. Then closer HOWEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLllll and I knew I was on the menu, so I got out of the Jeep and stood on the hood ready to swing my rifle around and hit one of my tormentors. I didn't know if I should swing low for a wolf, or high for Bigfoot. Just then, Howdy Doody comes back and tells me he can't see any lights and has no Idea where we are.
I tell him I know exactly where we are and where ever that is, is connected to miles of wire coming out the back of the Jeep. So I walk in front of the Jeep picking up the wire all the way back to where we started from. That is my Jeep story. I also have a tank story but the Jeep story (which is totally true) is much better.

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has reached 45 years old this month. I am kind of proud of that. :D

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy Birthday to Paul's tank

BdayCake-New.png

OP
OP
Paul B

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a great cake. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 123 81.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back