I may have made a mistake..

jeffrey holloway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did Ick management for a while and got tired of seeing ick getting on my blue hippo each month, The other fish never got it, including two other tangs. set up my spare 55gal and let in cycle. I have lots of cansiter filters and HOB filters from my fresh water days. I keep a 20 gal cycled at all times. After the 55g was ready I tore down the display, had to remove 180 lbs of pukani rock with the corals attached to some. set them fresh salt water in several 35gal rubbermaid storage binds. I put all the fish in the 20gal and treated with copper for 48 hrs, then moved them to the 55g. figure I have 72 days if the Ick Shows up again. Wanted to re-do my rock scape anyway. NOT!!

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put all the fish in the 20gal and treated with copper for 48 hrs, then moved them to the 55g.

Can I ask why you did this? The minimum time in copper to be effective is 10 days before being removed to a clean QT for observation. Otherwise, 30 days in copper straight is what would be needed. (This is for using copper of course and has nothing to do with TTM or Hypo)

jeffrey holloway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had two many fish in the 20g. After the one spot on the hippo fell off, I wasn't going to give him and his new army time to jump back on. The fish were stressing big time. If the Ick comes back I will treat them in the 55g. I have 68 days and counting before I can return them to the DT. I should have went to the 55 in the first place. It's been 7 days in the 55 QT and not signs of ick so far. I turned up the heat a few days to see if they would appear.
I will turn it up again next week to see what happens. As I said I got over two months to Nuke them if the little bugger show up again. I also run a vortex diatom filter rated for 150g on the 55g to suck out a bunch before they can get the party started. I took Humble Fish advice and went fallow.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had two many fish in the 20g. After the one spot on the hippo fell off, I wasn't going to give him and his new army time to jump back on. The fish were stressing big time. If the Ick comes back I will treat them in the 55g. I have 68 days and counting before I can return them to the DT. I should have went to the 55 in the first place. It's been 7 days in the 55 QT and not signs of ick so far. I turned up the heat a few days to see if they would appear.
I will turn it up again next week to see what happens. As I said I got over two months to Nuke them if the little bugger show up again. I also run a vortex diatom filter rated for 150g on the 55g to suck out a bunch before they can get the party started. I took Humble Fish advice and went fallow.

Ahh. Now I get it. lol Thanks for clarifying.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.4%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 61 29.2%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 45 21.5%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 24 11.5%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 72 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back