Icecap gyre 2k noisy in reverse

plankton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Installed one 2k with white controller and appears to work as designed. I installed up high near but not at water surface 25-40% and had allow reverse on. In forward mode it is dead silent but in reverse (25-40%) it is very noisy.

anyone else experience this and what did you do to eliminate noise in reverse direction?

OP
OP
plankton

plankton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is video converted from mov to mp4

OP
OP
plankton

plankton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks working with vendor support now. Removed impellers and head unit is silent in both directions. Replaced orange with black impellers (black had less silicon grease on them) and they make less noise in reverse but still some noise.

Arcflash_207

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks working with vendor support now. Removed impellers and head unit is silent in both directions. Replaced orange with black impellers (black had less silicon grease on them) and they make less noise in reverse but still some noise.
Hope you get it sorted out because they definitely move some water!

OP
OP
plankton

plankton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope you get it sorted out because they definitely move some water!
Yeah no kidding. I bought the small version (2k) and only running at 50% for my 75G tank. Between it and my two mp40qd there’s alotta flow in the tank. I have one more 2k I’m saving for any dead spots. Hmmm

OP
OP
plankton

plankton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still working with vendor. Took unit completely apart applied food grade silicone lubricant, reassembled and same thing. Forward is silent, reverse is noisy.

could be defect with the 2k ...

OP
OP
plankton

plankton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
vendor is going to ship me another motor block to try. Let’s hope new one is not noisy or as noisy in reverse as the one I have now. Yes my unit is new and was purchased last week from Amazon.

sageblade24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any update on the new motor block?

im also having issues with a high pitch humming noise with the 2ks

hobie61

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have the 2k. Same. Quiet forward, noisy when switch to reverse. Been running for 5 months now. I like to change it to reverse every day or so for about an hour to move all the collected debris around. Wish there was a way i could program this change.

Following your outcomes of updates.

Nivram808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able the fix the whining issue with my new Ice Cap Gyre 2K and Hydros Wavemaker LE. It seems to be coming from the end of the caps. I removed the entire pump blade and then placed it back into the blade cover first making sure it was all the way seated. I then put the blade and cover back on the pump already assembled. Went from hearing it watching TV in the next room to complete silence. I cant even hear it standing over the tank. Hope this helps others. I think the issue was the end of the blade sometimes does not fully seat into the blade cover.

sbbk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any update on the new motor block?

im also having issues with a high pitch humming noise with the 2ks
My 2K (about 1 month old) is silent in reverse and high pitch hum in forward. No permanent resolution yet. When I watch TV I put it in water change mode (2 hours) so it's not annoying, or I reverse it. I'm hoping it breaks in. Running about 20-45%.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 36.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 11 13.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 16.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back