Ich, Brook, other Fish sickness

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most diseases come and go in waves. One will be a bit more hardy, though it’s a matter of time before it does catch up.
For inverts, good options are:
Nassarius snails and a tiger or Randall’s pistol shrimp to clean sandbed.
Astrea, trochus, and turbo snails for the algae (especially on the glass).
Hermit crabs and emerald crab for algae.
Cleaner shrimp because they are cool.

OP
OP
K

K2D2_Texas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

We were able to catch Cruela (the 3 stripe damsel) last night. We had to completely dismantle our aquascape but she is safely caught.

We fresh water dipped her for 5 mins then did a 1g x 2tsp Ich X dip for 30 mins. She is now happily in her own private 5 gallon QT suite. Still behaving normally. After the dips and being placed in QT we noticed she had taken on a yellowish brown color just in the top of her back, but it is gone now. Idk if it was a trick of the light or if she had it in the DT and we couldn’t see bc she was to quick to hide.

We will now start out 45 day fallow. Thank everyone on here for the help and advise. Y’all are great.

adittam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

We were able to catch Cruela (the 3 stripe damsel) last night. We had to completely dismantle our aquascape but she is safely caught.

We fresh water dipped her for 5 mins then did a 1g x 2tsp Ich X dip for 30 mins. She is now happily in her own private 5 gallon QT suite. Still behaving normally. After the dips and being placed in QT we noticed she had taken on a yellowish brown color just in the top of her back, but it is gone now. Idk if it was a trick of the light or if she had it in the DT and we couldn’t see bc she was to quick to hide.

We will now start out 45 day fallow. Thank everyone on here for the help and advise. Y’all are great.
Good news!

FYI, Ich X is useless. I would hate for her to be carrying a few ich parasites throughout her QT and then reinfect the tank in a couple months after all of the work you’re going through. Copper at therapeutic levels (>2.0) for 30 days is the only proven treatment for ich.

OP
OP
K

K2D2_Texas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good news!

FYI, Ich X is useless. I would hate for her to be carrying a few ich parasites throughout her QT and then reinfect the tank in a couple months after all of the work you’re going through. Copper at therapeutic levels (>2.0) for 30 days is the only proven treatment for ich.
I read the same thing in an earlier reply. I used it bc it was all I had at the time. I live out of town so it’s quite a chore to get to a fish store. I figured some action was better than no action.

I’m running a non-cycled QT so I’ll be doing a lot of water changes in it. Can I treat with copper or other meds directly into the QT?

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 33 26.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 19.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back