Ich Dilemma

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can probably fit 3 at most. So definitely need to set up a 2nd. I was finally able to catch the firefish with a net but the others its impossible. I set up the trap I got and will focus on catching the sick tonight.

Getting alot of mixed reviews on another forum. Many telling me to deal with the ich in the tank rather than removing and stressing them out. Confused on whats the best approach. My goal is to keep the fish alive.
The core issue is that you self diagnosed by saying in your first post that your fish have ich. Trouble is, people can be wrong in their diagnosis, and then, if it is ich, the severity of the infection can dictate what treatment will work best.

In order to firm that all up, it would help me if you could post a video of the fish taken under white light. That will hopefully give enough information as to the best course of action here.

Jay

OP
OP
Aeb1419

Aeb1419

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

Ok so the QT was setup. Was monitoring ammonia like crazy cause I had no biological filtration. I only had the furefish in QT as it was difficult to catch the others.
20240216_084049.jpg

After trying to catch the fish over the course of 5 days I noticed some fish whom had the white dots started to not have it. My firefish was getting copper treatment and on 5th day had very little specksbut was acting funny. I decided to add the fish back to the tank. Watched over a few days and
everything is fine eating happily.
20240216_084042.jpg
20240216_084035.jpg
20240216_084025.jpg
20240216_084003.jpg

This was definitely a learning lesson for me. I know some suggested to leave it alone and just watch but I really care about fish and even my wife and kids were paranoid. They all have names and are part of the family. From this experience I think I wouldve kept feeding a good diet like I do and watvh closely. Now im not sure if ich is still in the tank or not. It probably is but im hoping they have built an immunity.

OP
OP
Aeb1419

Aeb1419

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The core issue is that you self diagnosed by saying in your first post that your fish have ich. Trouble is, people can be wrong in their diagnosis, and then, if it is ich, the severity of the infection can dictate what treatment will work best.

In order to firm that all up, it would help me if you could post a video of the fish taken under white light. That will hopefully give enough information as to the best course of action here.

Jay
I tried to take a pic but nothing would do it justice. Just curious what could also cause white specks?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried to take a pic but nothing would do it justice. Just curious what could also cause white specks?

Dust bits/sand can cause white specks. Missing scales can also cause that.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.5%
Back