Ich help!

ajensen23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed my small blue hippo tang was scratching itself on the rocks today. I looked closer and saw some small white spots on it. I'm guessing its ich. He is in my biocube29 along with a small goby,2 clowns, and all my coral. Anything I can do to help him? Hes been in there probably a little over 6 months. Thanks!

Sent from my ADR6400L using Reef2Reef Aquarium Forum mobile app

Otter_rs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is he eating? Can you catch him? Some garlic in his food may help some. Water perimeters? Is it time for a water change, if so, maybe you should do a bigger than normal water change.

Brent \><{{{{*>
Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

knightnsd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the cleaner shrimp if you can get one, the hippo will pull up to the shrimp for cleaning and parasite removal. I always try and keep one in my tank but sometimes they end up food

Budman's Corals

Living the Salt life
View Badges
Reaction score
Heart of Dixie--------------------------Mtgy,Ala
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed my small blue hippo tang was scratching itself on the rocks today. I looked closer and saw some small white spots on it. I'm guessing its ich. He is in my biocube29 along with a small goby,2 clowns, and all my coral. Anything I can do to help him? Hes been in there probably a little over 6 months. Thanks!

Sent from my ADR6400L using Reef2Reef Aquarium Forum mobile app

been there done it,just got rid of mine on the hippo,well not really got rid cause its always in the tank unless the tank goes fish less for 2 months,I wouldn't catch him as long as hes eating, It would cause more stress on him then its worth.Soak food in selcon and just keep him eating..also cleaner shrimp or neon gobie/cleaner wrasse would help...Some people dont like using UV sterilizers but i ran mine for the 2 weeks he had it and now its gone,just make sure the flow thru it is slow...Good luck and keep him stressless and eating...

OP
OP
ajensen23

ajensen23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the advice guys! yes he is eating, and I do have a cleaner shrimp. I saw the tang get real close a couple times and acted like he wanted to be cleaned but the shrimp just moved away... this is the first time hes gotten near it. I also saw one of my clowns "bitting" (not hard) the side of him, he seemed to like it lol. I have seen the bottles of liquid ich remover, is that stuff worth trying?

EpicWin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look up some of the archived forums on ich. Honestly this discussion is like a hamster wheel..... Just keeps coming back around.

Budman's Corals

Living the Salt life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the advice guys! yes he is eating, and I do have a cleaner shrimp. I saw the tang get real close a couple times and acted like he wanted to be cleaned but the shrimp just moved away... this is the first time hes gotten near it. I also saw one of my clowns "bitting" (not hard) the side of him, he seemed to like it lol. I have seen the bottles of liquid ich remover, is that stuff worth trying?
don't even try that stuff. Nothing like that works just takes time for the fish immune system to fight it off. It's sorts like a cold to us..

ParkerB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hypo or a designated copper tank is "technically" the only way to get rid of ich.

GL ich is the plague

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

knightnsd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed all of the real cures for ich will destroy any coral and I have tried the natural stuff with no apparent improvement. I like the treated pellets, than I soften them with, I also soak flake food with garlic and use a cleaner shrimp. I notice on occassions it seems to come back on the hippo over the years I have had him but it is usally very mild. I think they just seems to catch it on occassion and like others above if they are healthy, they kick it perhaps with some treated pellets, garlic and shrimp asssisting.

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think a cleaner shrimp actually eats ich based on gut content examinations, but I'm sure it will not hurt to have one especially of you have more than one tang where fighting is inevitable (I have two cleaner shrimp that constantly annoy me when feeding coral). They keep wounds clean. The best way to battle ich is good feeding and a UV sterilizer, let the fish's natural immune system fight it off. Soaking food in some garlic might help it eat a little bit more than usual, but do not soak the food everyday as to much garlic can do some damage to.

Catching the fish and hospitalizing the fish will just stress it at this point, and when you put it back it will probably get ich again.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ajensen23

ajensen23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He seems to be doing better. I noticed my cleaner shrimp cleaning him a couple times a day, and he is eating like normal. I'm thinking he will fight it off! :D

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the fish has a strong immune system and continues to eat i think everything you are doing might work out. If you have corals i would't add any medication to the as it will effect them. I have only had luck with copper in a seperate hospital tank.

OP
OP
ajensen23

ajensen23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything seemed to be going fine. Last week it looked like all the spots were going away, but I came home today to find something very wrong. The tangs right eye has a cloudy "bubble" over it with a large white spot in the center. He definitely can't see out of that eye... Is there anything that I can do to help him? It does look like there might be two very small spots forming on his left eye... He is still eating, but his eye doesnt look good at all. I tried getting a picture of it, but its hard to get a clear closeup.
1361925389584.jpg

Budman's Corals

Living the Salt life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything seemed to be going fine. Last week it looked like all the spots were going away, but I came home today to find something very wrong. The tangs right eye has a cloudy "bubble" over it with a large white spot in the center. He definitely can't see out of that eye... Is there anything that I can do to help him? It does look like there might be two very small spots forming on his left eye... He is still eating, but his eye doesnt look good at all. I tried getting a picture of it, but its hard to get a clear closeup.
1361925389584.jpg

Mine had the same thing, after spots disappeared on body ,went away on its own.could be ich or he could of scratched it...

OP
OP
ajensen23

ajensen23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine had the same thing, after spots disappeared on body ,went away on its own.could be ich or he could of scratched it...
Do you think that his eye could recover? Is there anything I can/should do to help/prevent other damage, or is it just a waiting and praying game as long as he is still eating?? I really hope it doesn't spread to his other eye!

Budman's Corals

Living the Salt life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think that his eye could recover? Is there anything I can/should do to help/prevent other damage, or is it just a waiting and praying game as long as he is still eating?? I really hope it doesn't spread to his other eye!

I think it will recover,It went to both my Hippos eye,I just think its the ich and theres nothing he can do about it,I was thinking cleaner fish dont touch the eye, But i cant say for sure it will,give it time it will clear...I know its frustrating sitting and waiting and doing nothing but that's all you can do..

vamaro

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my fair share of ick outbreaks. The suggestions for garlic won't cure ick. I have also used UV and currently use ozone and I can say with confidence that they won't cure ick either. The only way that I have cured ick is with treatment. Some fish can beat it without treatment but it's a risk.

I have a FOWLR so I just treat my display with Cupramine. With a reef, it may be time to set up a QT tank. I use live rock and sand in my QT. Some say to run no sand or rock but it's too hard to control the ammonia in the in the QT. I always use Cupramine for Ick. I have run it at half strength with good results with copper sensitive fish.

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

larangcon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your tank, there is always ick in the tank, most mature tank rarely gets ick the bacteria process has already taken place. New tank especially with the urges of buying more fish and corals are unable to handle the biological process. An old saltwater reefer once told me to wait a whole year before I buy any fish or corals, but who can wait, I bought and bought more fish but I end up paying more and more because I could not wait... Let it be, if the tang is strong he will get by, if you try to remedy with chemicals it will only get worse. Been There, don't make the same mistake...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 146 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back