Ich!!! Now what

Fishyj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has gotten a case of ich. I took my 4 fish out and now they are being treated in a qt tank. Just had a few questions. Do you feed normal, what about water changes? I understand the copper will kill just about anything. I am checking the water about twice a day. Should I do partial water changes daily? How long will ich survive in a fishless tank? I read 8 weeks but once the eggs hatch don't they die with out a host?

Ice

Zoa addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can feed normal or with a form of garlic. water changes i would do more than normal for sure depending on how much/often you are dosing. and a fishless tank should stay that way for 8-10 weeks to make sure the ich reproductive cycle is fully dead

Genesis Corals

Genesis 1:21
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is your QT setup? Is there a biofilter of some kind on the tank? If not you will need to do frequent water changes and redose copper (which I think is the method you are using) in order to prevent ammonia build up. There are some great threads on here about QT and the three main methods for treating ich (hypo, copper, and tank transfer method). Good luck, ich is no fun to deal with.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back