Ich or velvet?

Slot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only on my royal gramma, showed up last night. Yesterday he was swimmimg sideways and shooting around real fast, this morning he was laying down breathing heavy. Still eating and acts like hes fine now, only fish showing symptoms so far. Sorry for the bad pics my phone camera sucks.
e064f78d9b71bc3d8554ee187a20c124.jpg
97f65b6f3d7cdc3500db150ae55c3b3c.jpg
b0a431595a7047363936b6c94371ca67.jpg
6935e166bac6f99a589cbf3ce1040be6.jpg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, it looks like Velvet. Especially with as fast as it seems to be harming the fish. Have you added any new fish in the last few weeks?

I would recommend getting a hospital tank set up and getting ready to treat all your fish with copper or CP. A fresh water dip will provide temporary relief it is is velvet and help buy the fish some time.

OP
OP
Slot

Slot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, it looks like Velvet. Especially with as fast as it seems to be harming the fish. Have you added any new fish in the last few weeks?

I would recommend getting a hospital tank set up and getting ready to treat all your fish with copper or CP. A fresh water dip will provide temporary relief it is is velvet and help buy the fish some time.
I traded frags with someone a few weeks ago. First time not QTing in years and this happens. My QT tank cracked last month so ill see if anyone is selling a 20 gal.... i don't have copper on hand but i have seachem paragaurd, will this keep my fish alive until i can get copper on Friday? Closest place that sells it is an hour away and ill be near it on friday

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt paraguard will be able to hold off velvet. If you can't make it to the LFS before friday, then do a freshwater dip today to flush out his gills and maybe buy you some more time. Though it probably wouldn't buy you until friday. You could try the paraguard, since something is better than nothing at all.

OP
OP
Slot

Slot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the help, will seachems cupramine work?

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cupramine or coppersafe will work, just make sure you get the corresponding test kit for it. Coppersafe is the API, I don't remember off hand which one works for cupramine.

OP
OP
Slot

Slot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cupramine or coppersafe will work, just make sure you get the corresponding test kit for it. Coppersafe is the API, I don't remember off hand which one works for cupramine.
Perfect i have an api test kit. Im setting up a QT with a 10 gal i found and had to order the copper off of amazon because my only LFS is out. It will be here monday. Ill be doing freshwater dips to provide some relief. Do i only FW dip the fish with symptoms, or all?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect i have an api test kit. Im setting up a QT with a 10 gal i found and had to order the copper off of amazon because my only LFS is out. It will be here monday. Ill be doing freshwater dips to provide some relief. Do i only FW dip the fish with symptoms, or all?
I would only do the ones with symptoms. FW dips can stress the fish and lower their natural immunity. If they are holding it at bay on their own for now I would try to minimize their stress as much as possible.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Go ahead and dip them all. It might help buy you more time with them as well.

OP
OP
Slot

Slot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a scooter blenny, ive heard they dont do too good with copper treatment. He eats pretty much anything frozen will he be okay in QT?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a scooter blenny, ive heard they dont do too good with copper treatment. He eats pretty much anything frozen will he be okay in QT?

You're right, he won't do well in the copper. CP is the med of choice for velvet and dragonettes.

OP
OP
Slot

Slot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're right, he won't do well in the copper. CP is the med of choice for velvet and dragonettes.
There's nowhere around me to get CP.... will hypo work? Will the copper kill him or lower his appetite?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's nowhere around me to get CP.... will hypo work? Will the copper kill him or lower his appetite?

You would need to get a prescription for cp from a vet and have it filled online. hypo doesn't treat velvet, only ich so it wouldn't work. Dragonettes tend to not tollerate copper well at all. you could try it, but he will likely just wither and die.

OP
OP
Slot

Slot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would need to get a prescription for cp from a vet and have it filled online. hypo doesn't treat velvet, only ich so it wouldn't work. Dragonettes tend to not tollerate copper well at all. you could try it, but he will likely just wither and die.
A few years ago i had an ich outbreak and wanted CP but no vets near me would write a prescription or even look at my fish. Ill try again today

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few years ago i had an ich outbreak and wanted CP but no vets near me would write a prescription or even look at my fish. Ill try again today
I have the same issue, which is why I still don't have a dragonette.

Back