Ich / quarantine question

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's more than one strain of Ich and they all do not have the same preferred temperature range. What is low for one, may not be low for another.....

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will go dormant at low temps.....

Outside of long winded studies on Google Scholar, this is probably the most scientifically based info regarding SW ich: https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/fa164

The below quote, taken from that article, may explain where the 90 days comes from. Fortunately, nobody I know keeps their tank @ 50F.
A more recent study demonstrated that two life stages of one strain of Cryptocaryon (trophonts, i.e., the feeding stage during which the parasite can be found on the fish, and tomonts) survived dormant for 4–5 months at 12°C (53.6°F), and, after the water temperature increased to 27°C (80.6°F), developed and infected fish (Dan et al. 2009).

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can also get your hands of the peer reviewed research journals of "Aquaculture", "Parasitology Research" and "Journal of Fish Diseases", do so. There are some great reads in there about Ich and some as recent as this year.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can be hard wading though the information. A lot of the research articles aren't available to hobbyists, so we have to trust another's word. Just take that one off of your preferred reading list. :)

University of Florida's aquaculture articles - including ich, et al. - are available to the public and of first rate quality.

Something that would surprise a lot of people here is that their documents are not all treatment oriented.

Treatments are for a verified disease - they do nothing to make the fish healthy.

Healthy fish are our first priority...low stress may be the #1 factor in keeping them healthy. Consider food and environment when reducing stressors.

Healthy, unstressed fish are extremely disease resistant.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can also get your hands of the peer reviewed research journals of "Aquaculture", "Parasitology Research" and "Journal of Fish Diseases", do so. There are some great reads in there about Ich and some as recent as this year.

Sadly those are paid-access only. Better be a student or know one!

University of Florida's public documents are not all encompassing, but they do hit all of the main topics we are interested in and are top notch.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I have liked University of Florida's articles. Some people on here are students as well, so I was giving additional journals that have some awesome information as well, so if one had access.........

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.9%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 166 72.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.2%
Back