ID zoa

airfire99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought at my local dealer and he has no clue what these are. I think I found them at planetzoa.com. They look like dark harvest zoas. Anyone have these?? The orange center is brighter than the pix.

Attachments

• DSC_0598.jpg
    DSC_0598.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 148

mmorman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some of those and they were called jokers.....following the batman craze. But to be honest you will find that most zoas, no matter what color th are when you buy them, will change colors under different types of lights and depending on the PAR they are getting. and even if they dont they will randomly start morphing and will completely change color.

I have one rock of zoas that's about 6 inches long and i glued 30 heads of some blue zoas that cost me $250. after 2 years of growing, i now have about 400 of those blue ones, and 6 different color variations of completely different colors. all from the same parent colony.

so dont get too tied up in names. Most of the time people just make crap up to make em sound fancy. a coral is only as valuable as you like it.

turbo21

Fenchies and Fish Oh My
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some of those and they were called jokers.....following the batman craze. But to be honest you will find that most zoas, no matter what color th are when you buy them, will change colors under different types of lights and depending on the PAR they are getting. and even if they dont they will randomly start morphing and will completely change color.

I have one rock of zoas that's about 6 inches long and i glued 30 heads of some blue zoas that cost me $250. after 2 years of growing, i now have about 400 of those blue ones, and 6 different color variations of completely different colors. all from the same parent colony.

so dont get too tied up in names. Most of the time people just make crap up to make em sound fancy. a coral is only as valuable as you like it.

Pretty much an untrue statement about changing color. I have been keeping zoas for - little over 13 years. And I have over a hundred different colonies. I have never seen a zoa completely change colors. Some colors may become brighter or more dull. But have never seen something go from say green to red

If you look at any mature colony you will see slight differences. Sometimes the skirt color can rub off onto the oral disc and so on

Names are not just marketing hype they allow is to easily track different zoanthids

Much easier to track down a candy apple red then try to look for red green and yellow ringed paly

And names don't drive the price up one bit. It sti comes down to what the piece looks like

What would you pay more money for

Soul ripper paly
Or
Omega maul

If you didn't know what those 2 frags were. There is no way you could say 1 is more valuable then the other

But add pics and most people could tell you what would be more expensive

Bob

mmorman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turbo21....so your going to tell me the sows on my rock started sprouting and growing new heads and the skirt changes to blue, and then 6months later, they start getting purple on the edge where there is new growth...but i didn't see that? I ended up with several Colorado variences but i didn't see that? You know everything apparently so i digress.. ..I'm a fool for beleiving what i saw happen i guess...

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 11 18.6%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 38 64.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.1%
Back