IM 40 Long - Confused w/ 3 month progress

Pseudoskill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had several tanks in the past that were successful, confused with how this tank is going.

Tank is 3 months old.

5 fish, feed daily (generally mysis)
Lit by 2 AI primes, BRS schedule

I run 2 media baskets, one with media and carbon, the other with chaeto (suspect this might be the culprit)

All fish are happy. However, it seems as though the cycle has stalled or nutrients are just being stripped completely. I only ever had a very slight "ugly" stage, vacuumed the sand and it never returned. Rocks/sand are really clean and I'm constantly registering zero nitrates (RedSea test kit, and ****** API test). I've tried both and there is not even any color change. I'm not sure how/why I'm not getting any sort of nitrate buildup unless the chaeto is just stripping all of it. The chaeto seems to be doing well but is a relatively small bundle, perhaps slightly bigger than a golf ball if fully compacted.

I added 3 small zoa frags, one has opened but the other two have remain closed for about a week. Afraid to add anything else at this point out of fear that the coral will starve with no nutrients.

Any thoughts/advice?

MACHO

R-E-E-F-I-N-G What does that spell!! Money Pit!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had several tanks in the past that were successful, confused with how this tank is going.

Tank is 3 months old.

5 fish, feed daily (generally mysis)
Lit by 2 AI primes, BRS schedule

I run 2 media baskets, one with media and carbon, the other with chaeto (suspect this might be the culprit)

All fish are happy. However, it seems as though the cycle has stalled or nutrients are just being stripped completely. I only ever had a very slight "ugly" stage, vacuumed the sand and it never returned. Rocks/sand are really clean and I'm constantly registering zero nitrates (RedSea test kit, and ****** API test). I've tried both and there is not even any color change. I'm not sure how/why I'm not getting any sort of nitrate buildup unless the chaeto is just stripping all of it. The chaeto seems to be doing well but is a relatively small bundle, perhaps slightly bigger than a golf ball if fully compacted.

I added 3 small zoa frags, one has opened but the other two have remain closed for about a week. Afraid to add anything else at this point out of fear that the coral will starve with no nutrients.

Any thoughts/advice?
what are phosphates at? if both are zero you might not need the chateo. also have you been doing water changes? normally on a system this young you shouldnt have needed to do really any water changes unless your elements were skyrocketing. i would recommend to feed more or you can always dose a little nitrate and phosphate. my 200 has chateo about the size of a basketball but always have higher nutrient levels. Is there any other filtration? was the tank setup with dry rock dry sand? whats the size

OP
OP
P

Pseudoskill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At work, but I'll measure the phosphates later.

Tank was set up with dry rock and Caribsea sand. Dosed ammonia and microbacter7 for the first 7-10 days.

Tank is 40 gallons, with a pretty substantial amount of rock I'd imagine. Not sure on weight/volume but I use a Caribsea XXL arch that takes up a ton of space. I didn't do water changes for the first month or so and now do about a 1.5 gallons every 7-10 days. Debating holding off for now as today would be my WC day but the tank is super clean.

No skimmer/etc. Just media baskets on each overflow. The chaeto is only about 2 weeks old, I generally run a refugium in my AIO tanks in the past and decided to do it here as well

Solga

2 lost souls swimming in a fish bowl ...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had the 5 fish in there ?
I would say, just thinking of the top of my head real quick, that If your tank has been up and running for 3 months, and there are fish in there that are happy, your cycle is not stalled and the rock are processing things just fine.

MACHO

R-E-E-F-I-N-G What does that spell!! Money Pit!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At work, but I'll measure the phosphates later.

Tank was set up with dry rock and Caribsea sand. Dosed ammonia and microbacter7 for the first 7-10 days.

Tank is 40 gallons, with a pretty substantial amount of rock I'd imagine. Not sure on weight/volume but I use a Caribsea XXL arch that takes up a ton of space. I didn't do water changes for the first month or so and now do about a 1.5 gallons every 7-10 days. Debating holding off for now as today would be my WC day but the tank is super clean.

No skimmer/etc. Just media baskets on each overflow. The chaeto is only about 2 weeks old, I generally run a refugium in my AIO tanks in the past and decided to do it here as well
Like daniel has said closing that refugium will more than likely help you pump those nutrients up.

Daniel92481

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, you have an awesome tank! I would definitely check your phosphates along with your nitrates once or twice a week. I would also take the chaeto offline for now since your tank is new and not registering nitrates. You can always bring it back later on. If you have been keeping up with your water changes, continue to do so. I would not advise to skip any. Your fish are already accustomed to the 7-10 day refresh. Good luck with everything. Post a couple pics of this beauty. I would love to see!

OP
OP
P

Pseudoskill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had the 5 fish in there ?
I would say, just thinking of the top of my head real quick, that If your tank has been up and running for 3 months, and there are fish in there that are happy, your cycle is not stalled and the rock are processing things just fine.
About a month, maybe 45 days. Pair of clowns, firefish, blue chromis and a pigmy hawkfish.

I get no reading for ammonia, which leads me to believe it has cycled. I've just usually battled with diatoms or GHA in past tanks, not sure why this one appears so clean.

Solga

2 lost souls swimming in a fish bowl ...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About a month, maybe 45 days. Pair of clowns, firefish, blue chromis and a pigmy hawkfish.

I get no reading for ammonia, which leads me to believe it has cycled. I've just usually battled with diatoms or GHA in past tanks, not sure why this one appears so clean.
Yeah, your cycle is definitely complete. Just like cars, even though they are all the same, each one is different. Although the only tanks I have ever had that did not have an "ugly" outbreak, was when I used live ocean rock. I started 2 tanks at roughly the same time, using the same salt, same water changes, etc. For some reason, I could not keep zoa's alive in one of them, but they flourished in the other... No clue why either.
If anything, get a sample pack of reef roids, and broadcast feed a tiny amount once a week or so. That should be enough to keep the zoa's happy, and help with those nitrate levels as well.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 161 73.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 36 16.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%
Back