OP
reacclimating 2 the hobby

patience is... oh look an acro pack fs!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW I've noticed that when my fuge gets too full I start getting algae growth in the display as well. I pull out my usual amount plus a little more so theres maybe a softball clump left and within a week or so the hair algae dies off. My guess is when the chaeto overfills the fuge only your top layer is getting light and consuming nutrients.

thanks @Crabs McJones that does make more sense

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My intent was to clarify that my nitrates were reading 0 because of the Chaeto/GHA consumption and then to find out how to raise them while eliminating the GHA. I think by removing large amounts of chaeto I would accomplish that.

I wanted to understand how the GHA was beating out the Chaeto for nutrients.

phillygeeks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the change in your tank matched the change in your salt mix it may very well be due to changes in your alkalinity (or other "stuff" in the salt mix). I tried RS coral pro for a while and it had quite high alkalinity, near 12 dKh. I havent used tropic marin pro. However it looks to be substantially lower dKh at around 8 when mixed. That much of a difference in your salt mix can easily lead to changes in your tank. I wonder if there was a large drop in your dKh given I see you post 6.8 as the level in your initial post.

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5g!? How much chaeto do you have total?

Lol more than I thought. I still have a basketball size in the tank. Which I will remove more of if necessary. It's crazy how compact it was in there, it just kept coming out. Technically I sold about 5 quart bags and removed a 5gal pail.

If the change in your tank matched the change in your salt mix it may very well be due to changes in your alkalinity (or other "stuff" in the salt mix). I tried RS coral pro for a while and it had quite high alkalinity, near 12 dKh. I havent used tropic marin pro. However it looks to be substantially lower dKh at around 8 when mixed. That much of a difference in your salt mix can easily lead to changes in your tank. I wonder if there was a large drop in your dKh given I see you post 6.8 as the level in your initial post.

Yup, TM is actually around a 7 dKh. That is why I mentioned the salt to see what everyone thought.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 14 9.3%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 71 47.3%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 19 12.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back