Im confused.

Stanzo13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People say I should get red Sea salt... But then they say it's a complete waste of money... And I was told to stop using no3p04-x but then some say it's one of the most effective things for the price... Also been trying to get rid of diatoms for 7-8 months now

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
People say is based in opinions. For diatoms... Inorganics play a role. Detrious and diatoms often iccur in quiet or dead spot areas of tank. How is your water flow?
By directing your fliw toward bedding without agitating it, you will minimize any adhesion to surfaces. For sandbed, a boby such as diamonback will keep beddibg2 turned. Astrea and cerith snails will kerp diatoms in check also.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Also, i use red sea pro without any issues. Fir the money, i like reef crystals and Fritz pro salt

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salt is what works for you. Everyone has an opinion. Find a salt that mixes well and gives YOU a stable parameters. An is easy to mix and you don't have to do a lot of crazy things to get it right and use it. If it is just Diatoms and not something else check it to the you RO/DI water supply
http://oceandatacenter.ucsc.edu/PhytoGallery/dinos vs diatoms.html

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea salt is perfectly OK, but if money is a concern, IO or IO Reef Crystals work fine as well and it is less expensive. I've used a number of salts over 15 years with 4 tanks and I don't find any one being any better than other.

As far as diatoms are concerned, you'll always have some. But after a major bloom in a new tank they should get down to you only needing to clean the glass every few days or once a week. I have quite a few snails and I only scrape the glass every 10 to 14 days. You could be over feeding, not doing enough water changes. You didn't give us any water parameter to work with or tell us about your filtration or if you have a refugium. That could all be very helpful information.

Good luck.

OP
OP
Stanzo13

Stanzo13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea salt is perfectly OK, but if money is a concern, IO or IO Reef Crystals work fine as well and it is less expensive. I've used a number of salts over 15 years with 4 tanks and I don't find any one being any better than other.

As far as diatoms are concerned, you'll always have some. But after a major bloom in a new tank they should get down to you only needing to clean the glass every few days or once a week. I have quite a few snails and I only scrape the glass every 10 to 14 days. You could be over feeding, not doing enough water changes. You didn't give us any water parameter to work with or tell us about your filtration or if you have a refugium. That could all be very helpful information.

Good luck.
ATM I have a overkill 3 stage Cascade filter with floss, biomedia and rox.8 carbon. I run a depressed gyre that I should really fix this weekend. Got a super overkill skimmer and all hardwear seems to be running great. I only feed pellets for around 30 seconds but slowly so they are consumed by fish rather than falling to the sandbed. As a super security I will be doing a 1/3 water change tonight w/ instant ocean salt... ? And I use distilled water from Walmart it's 85 cents a gallon rather than $700 for a rodi filter, also I don't think one would last long as we have super hard well water

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$700 for an RO/DI? Where do you live, on the International Space Station? :eek:

I good new RO/DI should start at about $150 to maybe $250 for a really top end unit. I ran mine on well water with a TDS of 1100 for several years before we got city water. Since then I got an RO/DI system that does close to 1000gpd at zero tds and it came with a spare 120psi pump. A friend sold it to me for $150 when he was getting out of the hobby. That's my old RO/DI at the top of the photo and I just keep it as a backup.

P2220010.JPG

OP
OP
Stanzo13

Stanzo13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
$700 for an RO/DI? Where do you live, on the International Space Station? :eek:

I good new RO/DI should start at about $150 to maybe $250 for a really top end unit. I ran mine on well water with a TDS of 1100 for several years before we got city water. Since then I got an RO/DI system that does close to 1000gpd at zero tds and it came with a spare 120psi pump. A friend sold it to me for $150 when he was getting out of the hobby. That's my old RO/DI at the top of the photo and I just keep it as a backup.

P2220010.JPG
I have a lfs that over prices the crap out of everything anywhere from 30÷ to 300÷ it's just terrible

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost all rodi systems are the same hardware.
Look at BRS systems. Pretty much what you find on eBay.
The bigger difference is what’s inside.

I bought a used rodi for $50 and put new filters in. All in $100.

Some Walmart water is ok. But it’s walmart and not consistent on how or where it’s made.
So it’s iffy sometimes.

OP
OP
Stanzo13

Stanzo13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost all rodi systems are the same hardware.
Look at BRS systems. Pretty much what you find on eBay.
The bigger difference is what’s inside.

I bought a used rodi for $50 and put new filters in. All in $100.

Some Walmart water is ok. But it’s walmart and not consistent on how or where it’s made.
So it’s iffy sometimes.
So saying distilled isent always just pure plain water?, Also I was lazy and just bought the 5 gallon box from imagitarium, that being said I just did a small water change. Is it ever better to do them at night or morning? My guess would be night because corals are closed anyways and by morning everything will be beautiful for them to open up too

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So saying distilled isent always just pure plain water?, Also I was lazy and just bought the 5 gallon box from imagitarium, that being said I just did a small water change. Is it ever better to do them at night or morning? My guess would be night because corals are closed anyways and by morning everything will be beautiful for them to open up too
Yea. I’ve seen a lot of folks use different distilled water , even tap really , and somtimes it just isn’t right.
Water is actually stupidly complicated. “Plain” becomes relative. Pure becomes a matter of grades of purity.
Lots and lots and lots of really dry reading available if you’re ever interested.
The purest you can get is rodi. So you’ll hear folks harp on that. When stuff goes wrong it’s the first question because some water has things that directs feed algaes and also kill bacteria, and sometimes coral.

You can do a Wc any time. The corals don’t usually care.

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive heard that they use copper pipes in the distillery process and will leave residual copper in the water.....

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Distilled water that is bottled and sold at most stores, even Walmart, is distilled water which is pure H2O. I used it from several different stores over my first year in the hobby and my TDS meter (given to me by a fellow reefer) always had a zero reading.

Yes, some distilled water is done using copper pipes and many, many homes use copper pipes. And copper is bad for us just like it's bad for our tanks, and no, copper does NOT leach into the water in any SIGNIFICANT level if at all.

Some stores do sell bulk water that they may call 'pure water' or 'spring water' or even 'distilled water'. These ate the ones you need to be very careful with. They are bulk and have been held at the local store in a large container and who knows how pure it was to start with or how well the bulk container is maintained. I hate to say it, but I think the same thing can be said about water sold by any LFS. I would consider any bulk water as suspect until I test it with my own TDS meter. They are so inexpensive ($10-$20) and such a useful tool!

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 15.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 34 40.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 34 40.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.5%

Back