I'm preparing to set up a CO2 scrubber, and I have some questions...

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been researching the addition of a CO2 scrubber to my main system, and I only see upside to adding one.

If I understand correctly, a CO2 scrubber is deployed between the protein skimmer and the external air source. The idea being that air for the skimmer is drawn through the CO2 absorbing media and into the skimmer.

But my skimmer (ReefOctopus 110S) air intake is a white knob with two holes to allow air to be drawn in.

Is there an aftermarket attachment? Is there an attachment that is part of a CO2 scrubber kit? Do I have to rig something?

Appreciate some guidance.

Thank you,
Dom

tzabor10

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures would help. Online photos are not showing the air intake clearly.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been researching the addition of a CO2 scrubber to my main system, and I only see upside to adding one.

If I understand correctly, a CO2 scrubber is deployed between the protein skimmer and the external air source. The idea being that air for the skimmer is drawn through the CO2 absorbing media and into the skimmer.

But my skimmer (ReefOctopus 110S) air intake is a white knob with two holes to allow air to be drawn in.

Is there an aftermarket attachment? Is there an attachment that is part of a CO2 scrubber kit? Do I have to rig something?

Thank you,
Dom
Have you talked with customer service at Reef Octopus?

penguinexdeus

Poor Decision Maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you,
Dom
I have the same skimmer. The white hose from the skimmer venturi goes into a hole on the side of the red tube that the white cap (silencer) is on... i don't remember if the hose actuallly attached to anything inside that red tube or to the white cap, but the white cap (though tight) i don't believe is glued or anything.

Either way, you can either pull the white hose out of that hole or pull the white cap off to access the end of the tube. I just pulled mine out through the hole Once you have the end of the tube either connect to the scrubber directly or what i did was add an extension onto it using a barb connection and another piece of tubing...

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
drill a hole in the cap of the silencer and attach the tubing to a barbed fitting.

i cut the picture because my sump is filthy…

IMG_0664.jpeg

you can PM me for guidance if you’d like! i did a recirculating skimmer for my reef octopus classic 110-sss as i assume you have as well

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same skimmer. The white hose from the skimmer venturi goes into a hole on the side of the red tube that the white cap (silencer) is on... i don't remember if the hose actuallly attached to anything inside that red tube or to the white cap, but the white cap (though tight) i don't believe is glued or anything.

Either way, you can either pull the white hose out of that hole or pull the white cap off to access the end of the tube. I just pulled mine out through the hole Once you have the end of the tube either connect to the scrubber directly or what i did was add an extension onto it using a barb connection and another piece of tubing...

My idea was to cut the white tubing and insert the CO2 scrubber there. The challenge is making the connection between the tubing and the reactor holding the media.

I recently gave the skimmer a cleaning. Under the white cap, are two rigid plastic tubes, one for each of the two holes on the cap. Those two plastic tubes go in the end of the hose.

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you talked with customer service at Reef Octopus?

No, but I was going to reach to to BRS. Their support people have always been knowledgable and helpful.

penguinexdeus

Poor Decision Maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My idea was to cut the white tubing and insert the CO2 scrubber there. The challenge is making the connection between the tubing and the reactor holding the media.

I recently gave the skimmer a cleaning. Under the white cap, are two rigid plastic tubes, one for each of the two holes on the cap. Those two plastic tubes go in the end of the hose.

i used a kynar barb from brs ( https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/ozon...D=1770&indexName=brs_prod_m2_default_products )

and the white silicone tubing ( https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/whit...D=2869&indexName=brs_prod_m2_default_products )

I believe it's 3/8" - just the white hose from skimmer to kynar barb to silicon tubing to scrubber. The sillicone tubing fits easily on an icecap scrubber. I also have the reef octopus scrubber and the silicone tubing is stretchy enough to fit over the barbs on it as well.

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
drill a hole in the cap of the silencer and attach the tubing to a barbed fitting.

i cut the picture because my sump is filthy…

IMG_0664.jpeg

you can PM me for guidance if you’d like! i did a recirculating skimmer for my reef octopus classic 110-sss as i assume you have as well

Yes... I was thinking I could do something like this too. I wouldn't have to damage the hose.

Definitely a cleaner install with a hose barb to the cap.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Yes... I was thinking I could do something like this too. I wouldn't have to damage the hose.

Definitely a cleaner install with a hose barb to the cap.
also it’s less than 20$ shipped to get a replacement air silencer cap from reef octopus. it’s only a matter if they have any in stock(i did have to wait like 2-3 weeks for it to go back in stock. and it took 4 days to arrive)

OP
OP
Dom

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i used a kynar barb from brs ( https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/ozon...D=1770&indexName=brs_prod_m2_default_products )

and the white silicone tubing ( https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/whit...D=2869&indexName=brs_prod_m2_default_products )

I believe it's 3/8" - just the white hose from skimmer to kynar barb to silicon tubing to scrubber. The sillicone tubing fits easily on an icecap scrubber. I also have the reef octopus scrubber and the silicone tubing is stretchy enough to fit over the barbs on it as well.

Now I'm thinking that I could use a coupler and extend the silicon tubing out beyond the cap (eliminate the cap) and into the media reactor.

penguinexdeus

Poor Decision Maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I'm thinking that I could use a coupler and extend the silicon tubing out beyond the cap (eliminate the cap) and into the media reactor.
You can - thats basically what i did - the red tube still functions same and limits amount of water exiting the skimmer - the tube was just a compact location for them to build a silencer into it... you can see the hole in red tube I pulled mine out of - next time i take out skimmer too fully clean it i'll probably go through the top and just leave the cap off like you said

my scrubber is on opposite side of stand - i have a few feet of tubing added on and as long as tubing isn't pinched it doesn't reduce the airflow any

IMG_0284.JPG

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back