0   0   0
Ikea stripes working well. I install a door switch too

DSC_0514.JPG

Orly20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet thread I've been thinking of doing this but where can I find the door switch for the IKEA lights to come on automatically. Thanks

dbrewsky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your best bet is probably amazon or an online retailer honestly. You can surely find them locally, but I've personally gotten tired of spending half a day trying to track down a $10 dollar part!

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After see some of the other posts I might have to change my cabinet lighting and sump closet lighting

BlueDevil

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I literally just finished my under the cabinet lighting using LED strips. I set the lights up through my Apex controller so that they come on when either door to the cabinet is opened, and turn off when both doors are closed. Here are all the parts I used:

Magnetic switches from eBay

LED Light Strip from AMZN

Power supply for light strip from AMZN

Butt connectors to connect the switch wire to extension wire

22 gauge piece of wire from Home Depot to be used as an extension wire to extend the wire from the magnetic switches to reach the Apex breakout box

I did a ton of research on this topic. There's a lot of very useful info on the Apex forum if you would like to control the lights using the controller. If you are not going to run it through a controller, you can still use the same light strip. You will just have to turn them on and off manually from the outlet.

If you would like detailed info on how I connected everything, let me know and I'll be happy to share with you. It really wasn't hard at all - took all of 15 minutes and I have the least amount of electrical knowledge!

Here is a short video of how my lights work:

Last edited:
OP
OP
jolt

jolt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @BlueDevil ! Well thought out. As I was pondering your setup, a question occurred to me about the benefits of control via Apex.

I've been of the mindset to use my Apex to control this. But with Apex control via magnetic switch/breakout box I would be using an I/O on the breakout box to control a 110v outlet on my EB8, switching power to the power supply on/off.

A completely different approach I've seen is to use a low voltage switch like this to switch the 12vdc supply to the lights, and this could be done without even using a slot on the breakout box or an outlet on the EB8.

So, now I am wondering, what is the advantage of Apex control?

BlueDevil

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A completely different approach I've seen is to use a low voltage switch like this to switch the 12vdc supply to the lights, and this could be done without even using a slot on the breakout box or an outlet on the EB8.

So, now I am wondering, what is the advantage of Apex control?

As I mentioned in my post, I have practically zero electrical knowledge so I don't even know how that would work. However, if you are able to figure it out, do share the details on how you set it up so I can try it as well. I too would love to not have to use the BOB or even the last mechanical relay outlet I had left.

Since the only thing that controls the lights is the switch that signals the open or closed state, if the lights can be connected such that they turn on/off depending on the state of the switch, that should work I imagine? The only thing you may not be able to do is some type of a defer command. For example, I currently have my lights set defer a minute after the doors are closed. This keeps them from constantly going on and off if I am working in the sump and closing the door frequently. This is just a convenience though and certainly not a necessity.

OP
OP
jolt

jolt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I mentioned in my post, I have practically zero electrical knowledge so I don't even know how that would work. However, if you are able to figure it out, do share the details on how you set it up so I can try it as well. I too would love to not have to use the BOB or even the last mechanical relay outlet I had left.

Since the only thing that controls the lights is the switch that signals the open or closed state, if the lights can be connected such that they turn on/off depending on the state of the switch, that should work I imagine? The only thing you may not be able to do is some type of a defer command. For example, I currently have my lights set defer a minute after the doors are closed. This keeps them from constantly going on and off if I am working in the sump and closing the door frequently. This is just a convenience though and certainly not a necessity.

I think I figured it out: it looks like those switches do not handle enough current even at low voltage to switch the led supply voltage itself. So I would need a relay anyway.

I like the defer idea too, makes good sense!

BlueDevil

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I figured it out: it looks like those switches do not handle enough current even at low voltage to switch the led supply voltage itself. So I would need a relay anyway.

I like the defer idea too, makes good sense!

Ah! It was a good thought though :)

davejep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@davejep that is awesome!

Thanks!
Had the outer box made professionally as I just didn't trust myself with all that water.
But I did all the internals myself.
Have a 6 gallon or so ATO on the right.
Refugium up front and 2 chambers at the back.
Light strips make a nice even light.

Niterunner77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is a older post but I thought I would share my led setup. Went to ikea and picked up this LED strip for cheap and it has motion sensors so when I open up the doors to the sump, the strip comes on. I'll share the name of the strip just in case someone wants to pick one up. Comes in 12", 24", and 36".
IMG_1204.JPG
IMG_1201.JPG
IMG_1202.JPG
IMG_1203.JPG

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back