Instant Tank Cycle

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok now its done. analysis complete heh

last step: digestion by the thread OP/it's hard to grasp you don't need to buy something, test something, hesitate further in any way. they want to do just that. peers don't let them have it any other way

remember a mere 7 pages ago we were told no reef tank could be deemed cycled off a tank pic.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we can for sure know if a tank is cycled if we're lucky enough to have benthic visual cues in place.

that one has two: coralline + huge mat of diatoms.

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in a world of for-charge reef tank testing

it's nice to have a testless cycling option. this thread charts the evolution of for-charge reef tank testing in interesting ways in my opinion

to this day: we cycle dry start setups and live rock setups, any reef tank setup, without testing.

in threads like these:

cycle any dry start/bottle bac setup without testing:

cycles any live rock transfer without testing:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquabiomics = Eli from page one:

20231031_132818.jpg

Hey was this cycle able to be visually verified? Any word on the others I've back edited in here for four years?

Testing for the cycle was stated as required by you, was that true in hindsight?

I never trusted the for charge testing that followed shortly after this exchange. It's riding a wave of false doubt, seeds were created here above.

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every time we find a skip cycle gem in work threads i think of this thread.

Few more visual verified cycles:

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Following Eli’s advice from page one and two here, that posters cycle is broken because Red Sea says so

Eli said the only way to know a cycle is done is to test for it, he didn’t give any other qualifiers

and I think that’s by design.

why didn’t Eli give us feedback on page one or two about the impacts of mis testing in reefing? The way it might lead people to make wasted purchases or make unneeded responsive reef tank changes? he has to sell it that way in order to drive business.

if people don’t need reef testing like it’s painted to be needed, a revenue stream dries up

If there’s any doubt in the validity of for-charge DNA testing, it won’t be the hot button topic of the millennia. When the Ted talk comes I’ll know the fleece is complete.

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to state how tight the parameters are for me to update this thread:

one sole criteria determines each update: did a picture of the reef tank determine the certain cycle end date

answer for 5/6/24, yes.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there's a lot of free cycles are logged here, all testless cycles worked.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we have not even discerned the degree % of live to dry rock in that system yet from post 147, I'm posting this here before he's finalized what % of that is dry vs cured live rock

the reason I didn't need the answer is the overriding blanket of green algae on both surfaces

that means both surfaces are cycled, the rule of visual benthic growth verification applies here/pigmented surfaces like that indicate cycled for basic ammonia control, even after a thorough cleaning of the tank. truly cycled.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eli, Aquabiomics, this one’s for you too.

How much more direct, and free of charge, can we get than that example?

We knew he was 100% cycled off the words he used, before pics, and without testing.

The reason for this thread:
C10323FC-A649-431D-93A8-354D928A1229.jpeg

Because he might get a misread, a false stuck cycle, and then think he has to buy something from you or elsewhere to unstick it. For five years we’ve been doing what you said didn’t work.

Reefers need to know that we can cycle without testing, and be very sure of the tank status using alternate clues vs paid testing.

Last edited:

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefers need to know that we can cycle without testing, and be very sure of the tank status using alternate clues vs paid testing.

I advise ammonia testing. Tried and true. Directly bears in the concern (ammonia). Cheap and easy.

I see no reason to do anything else. Forget driving ammonia to zero. Drop it from 2 ppm to 0.5 ppm or less (which shows a big ammonia drop while still allowing for zero point errors in a kit). Do that twice and cycling is done.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I advise ammonia testing. Tried and true. Directly bears in the concern (ammonia). Cheap and easy.

I see no reason to do anything else. Forget driving ammonia to zero. Drop it from 2 ppm to 0.5 ppm or less (which shows a big ammonia drop while still allowing for zero point errors in a kit). Do that twice and cycling is done.
I agree with this - I would only use this method (adding 2 ppm ammonia) in tanks in which no living things are contained (and my guess is that this is also what you meant @Randy Holmes-Farley . Meaning if someone took all of the 'stuff' from their aquarium and put it into a larger one - in theory there should be no 'cycling' involved. I would not want to document ammonia removal by adding 2 ppm. Instead in these tanks - I would also not rely on visual cues. Ammonia testing helps, has helped many people, and if done correctly, most if not all of the ammonia tests available are accurate. My guess is that I would be able to tell if there was an ammonia problem in my tank 'by sight'. Many new reefers would not be able to do so - so - to repeat, I wholly agree with total ammonia testing when changing tanks, adding new rock, etc. Routine ammonia testing in a tank thats doing well should not be necessary IMO.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Eli, Aquabiomics, this one’s for you too.

How much more direct, and free of charge, can we get than that example?

We knew he was 100% cycled off the words he used, before pics, and without testing.

The reason for this thread:
C10323FC-A649-431D-93A8-354D928A1229.jpeg

Because he might get a misread, a false stuck cycle, and then think he has to buy something from you or elsewhere to unstick it. For five years we’ve been doing what you said didn’t work.

Let's take the worst case scenario - there is a misread. It's easy to solve this by having an independent repeat test done. Let's take the second worst case scenario - Someone thinks they have a stuck cycle - and buys bottled bacteria? Is that really a big issue in the general scheme of things?

I agree with you - that it's possible to cycle a tank without testing. However, I wouldn't let the small risk of a false positive ammonia level lead me to not test it. One of the main reasons is that we get many questions here on 'whats wrong with my fish'. That I just added yesterday. It is very helpful to have parameters handy to determine what is going on in the tank. Ammonia is one of those parameters. IMHO - and it would be interesting to hear Randy's perspective. In my research, the amount of obligate nitrifiers grows until they are at equilibrium with their food source. Then the population remains at steady state. If one adds 5 larger yellow tangs to a 75 gallon tank - it may very well be an ammonia spike - and one should look for that. This also goes for tanks with an unknown dead fish, etc.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with this - I would only use this method (adding 2 ppm ammonia) in tanks in which no living things are contained (and my guess is that this is also what you meant @Randy Holmes-Farley . Meaning if someone took all of the 'stuff' from their aquarium and put it into a larger one - in theory there should be no 'cycling' involved. I would not want to document ammonia removal by adding 2 ppm. Instead in these tanks - I would also not rely on visual cues. Ammonia testing helps, has helped many people, and if done correctly, most if not all of the ammonia tests available are accurate. My guess is that I would be able to tell if there was an ammonia problem in my tank 'by sight'. Many new reefers would not be able to do so - so - to repeat, I wholly agree with total ammonia testing when changing tanks, adding new rock, etc. Routine ammonia testing in a tank thats doing well should not be necessary IMO.

I presume we are talking about cycling. That is the stated situation in the post I quoted. Hence, no animals.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I presume we are talking about cycling. That is the stated situation in the post I quoted. Hence, no animals.
The reason I mentioned animals - is that one way of cycling involves adding dry rock, bottled bacteria and fish on day 1. As I said - I agree with you that testing ammonia if you are dosing it is entirely appropriate. The title of the thread is 'instant tank cycling' - which I assumed meant either adding bottled bacteria - or adding already cycled live rock.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep, in perpetuity. We are going to see how many hundreds of testless cycle jobs we can log without fail, free, after being clearly told by a phD five years ago it doesn't work that way. I usually back edit every 5th visual ID cycle into this thread.

we are logging both dry rock cycles, worked testlessly, and common skip cycles via live rock transfer. there is not any type of marine aquarium cycle that requires ammonia/nitrite testing using new rules that don't try and make people pay up for what we can assess freely and with visual cues from tank pictures (or known wait times)

Eli also said that wet pack Caribsea sand has no viable cycling bacteria, but we know from Taricha's testing it does. I can see that Eli is driving his readers to cost-based testing in order to feel confident about microbes in the aquarium, and I want to show by contrast how that isn't needed.

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Randy

I'm glad you advise testing for ammonia, that gives us a contrast to log non tested approaches and see what works best for reefers.

Testless cycling is being developed/proven on file for years/ to address all the shortfalls test based cycling gave us for thirty years running-->which are thousands of false stalls, millions of dollars in unneeded extra bottle bacteria purchases, zero focus on disease preps, threads that run for 20 pages with nobody agreeing on cycle status or readiness, and the lie that many cycles "didn't make it" and crashed the tank (no examples exist for that I've seen)

we are fixing up a ton of untruths that old cycling science tries to sell us.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find it amazing Eli won't show up to chat. I'd like to know if his stance changed on visual cycling. I would firmly bet it hasn't changed regardless of # of jobs completed visually.

RoanokeReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find it amazing Eli won't show up to chat. I'd like to know if his stance changed on visual cycling. I would firmly bet it hasn't changed, so we can just back edit a hundred more jobs as they arise.
Since you are using terms only you seem to use, maybe on the first page you define each? I mean who is Eli? What does Visual Cycling mean? What does old cycling science mean? What is new cycling science? A clear definition would really help get your points across easier in my opinion as you seem to use these same terms in every thread you post. It seems like you are either running your comments through google translate or are just adding words to sound smart as in context they have no meaning. It's all very confusing.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 181 72.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back