Introduction of new clown fish

LandlockedZissou816

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,
I had a clownfish commit suicide the other day, leaving our remaining clownfish alone. My first impulse is to introduce a new clownfish into the tank, but Im worried about the prospect of them not getting along, maybe the old clownfish being territorial. He has been in the tank for about a year. What is the best way to introduce a new clownfish into the tank? Is there something you've done that has worked for you, or is it basically just a matter of buying one and keeping your fingers crossed they get along?
Any input is appreciated!

Frank SM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You say "he" but is it the male or female that is still alive? The other day - how many days ago? What species?

OP
OP
LandlockedZissou816

LandlockedZissou816

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, said “he” out of habit.
The remaining clownfish is a female Ocellaris. The male jumped out 3 weeks ago.

Frank SM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ocellaris, in my experience, are pretty mild mannered. Just get a small one about 1/2 her size that is in a tank with several others, as long as it's not the largest. This will almost certainly be a small male. He should submit pretty quickly to her and they should be fine. But be prepared to remove him, if she gets overly aggressive. Some fin grabbing/tearing is normal but if it's too stressful, remove him.

TinyReefObsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,
I had a clownfish commit suicide the other day, leaving our remaining clownfish alone. My first impulse is to introduce a new clownfish into the tank, but Im worried about the prospect of them not getting along, maybe the old clownfish being territorial. He has been in the tank for about a year. What is the best way to introduce a new clownfish into the tank? Is there something you've done that has worked for you, or is it basically just a matter of buying one and keeping your fingers crossed they get along?
Any input is appreciated!
Sorry to hear about your fish :( My friend told me that when he introduced my clowns years ago, he introduced the new, smaller, male, o clown, to the tank, & the female went after him for months & he had to keep separating them… But now he follows her around all day lol he used one of those clear medical boxes (sorry if that’s not the term). Good luck :)

OP
OP
LandlockedZissou816

LandlockedZissou816

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ocellaris, in my experience, are pretty mild mannered. Just get a small one about 1/2 her size that is in a tank with several others, as long as it's not the largest. This will almost certainly be a small male. He should submit pretty quickly to her and they should be fine. But be prepared to remove him, if she gets overly aggressive. Some fin grabbing/tearing is normal but if it's too stressful, remove him.
Thank you!

OP
OP
LandlockedZissou816

LandlockedZissou816

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about your fish :( My friend told me that when he introduced my clowns years ago, he introduced the new, smaller, male, o clown, to the tank, & the female went after him for months & he had to keep separating them… But now he follows her around all day lol he used one of those clear medical boxes (sorry if that’s not the term). Good luck :)
Thank you!

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 12 9.3%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 56 43.4%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 60 46.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back